Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > SVDs and RomAK IIIs

Notices

Old 02-09-2019, 02:05 AM   #1
Whibble

AKaholic #: 193728
Default Scope Options for a RomAK III

I originally posted this in the optics section, with no luck. I figured you guys might have some more experience with these types of scopes.

So I've got a PSL with a beat-to-hell (cosmetically, as far as I can tell) PSO-1 on it. Since on the PSO-1, when you zero the reticle, it literally MOVES the reticle around inside the scope, my zero happens to be as low and left as possible (I literally have a single turret click remaining before I can't go any further). This, coupled with the shitty eye relief of the PSO-1, means you have to fish for the reticle for five or six seconds before you can get on target. Even then, 30% of the bullet compensation measurements are literally so far off to the low-left that they're no longer visible in the scope. If you blink, you lose your V notch and have to fish for it again.

I have no idea if it's the side-rail on my PSL or if it's the PSO-1 itself that causes my zero to be so low-left, but I'm looking to replace it. What I'm looking for is twofold.

I'm looking for a scope that:

A) Is the same combloc style as the PSO-1, but has better eye relief. I know they make pic-rail adapters but I'm trying to stick to original combloc aesthetic.

and

B) The zeroing method for the scope does NOT just move the reticle around inside the scope tube and out of sight. I'm not sure what the technical name for the different mechanical styles of managing scope zero are, but I don't want to run into the exact same issue as I'm having now if it turns out that my claw mount is slightly off. I can live with a scope that's zeroed low left, as long as the reticle is remotely visible and centered.

Thanks, guys.
Whibble is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:58 PM   #2
WolfmanReid

AKaholic #: 154786

I’d check kalinkaoptics.com they have a wide variety of eastern block scopes. That being said so far as I am aware most of the Soviet type scopes for the SVD, PSL etc. move the reticle inside the scope when making adjustments. Another option might be to shim your scope mount.

The problem you are describing is why the scopes were individually numbered to the rifles when they came out of the arsenal. Is your PSL a kit build, Romy import or military bring back?
WolfmanReid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:26 PM   #3
Whibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfmanReid View Post
Id check kalinkaoptics.com they have a wide variety of eastern block scopes. That being said so far as I am aware most of the Soviet type scopes for the SVD, PSL etc. move the reticle inside the scope when making adjustments. Another option might be to shim your scope mount.

The problem you are describing is why the scopes were individually numbered to the rifles when they came out of the arsenal. Is your PSL a kit build, Romy import or military bring back?
The PSL seems to be a commercial import (no markings on the bottom of the receiver). I shimmed the current scope mount a tiny bit with a folded up aluminum can strip, but there isn't much room to shim and it's impossible to shim left or right, which is my main problem. I've thought about ordering a scope from Kalinka, but if it's my side mount that is slightly offset, I would end up spending $400-$600 on a new scope, just to find out that it has the exact same issue. I need to find someone local who will let me borrow their PSO-1 or similar style scope and zero it in to see if it's my scope or the rifle mounts.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:01 PM   #4
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

Have you revuewed and followed the zeroing instructions on the Kalinka site?
Ate you using a SVD or AK pattern ckamp type?
Have you adjusted the turrets?
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 11:02 PM   #5
Whibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
Have you revuewed and followed the zeroing instructions on the Kalinka site?
Ate you using a SVD or AK pattern ckamp type?
Have you adjusted the turrets?
It's the SVD clamp style. I followed the instructions to the best that I could follow. I zero'd the reticle, then unscrewed the turrets to center the notches on 100, and tightened the screws back down. That still doesn't change my zero, with the reticle being so far low and left that I can't see it, though. Unless there's some sort of way to zero the scope and then somehow pull the reticle back toward the center of the scope, but I've not seen anything that allows for that.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:14 AM   #6
vtb

AKaholic #: 183051

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whibble View Post
It's the SVD clamp style. I followed the instructions to the best that I could follow. I zero'd the reticle, then unscrewed the turrets to center the notches on 100, and tightened the screws back down. That still doesn't change my zero, with the reticle being so far low and left that I can't see it, though. Unless there's some sort of way to zero the scope and then somehow pull the reticle back toward the center of the scope, but I've not seen anything that allows for that.
What you describe reminds me US Optics EREK knobs.
vtb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:32 AM   #7
Whibble

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtb View Post
What you describe reminds me US Optics EREK knobs.
It's been a little while since I messed with them, but they're the standard PSO-1 zero adjustment drums. You zero your reticle to your point of impact, then you unscrew the drums so that they rotate freely. You can then set your windage notch to 0 and your elevation to 1, so that you can make further adjustments (like adjusting the elevation to 4, for 400 yards) but that doesn't seem to effect anything else other than being able to return to 0 and 1 for your base rifle zero.

http://www.dragunov.net/documents/ps...ero_manual.pdf
Old 02-10-2019, 09:42 AM   #8
mdees

AKaholic #: 164090

I had a similar issue with my PSL. The 4x LPS scope that came with it zeroed well enough but ai is anted more magnification. I bought a used POSP 8x off the marketplace here. Went to sight it in and, when done correctly, my reticle was in the top left quadrant significantly. I knew it wasn’t my chance rail because the 4x was good. So I sold that 8x and purchased another. The POSP I use now is nicely centered and works as it should.
mdees is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:09 AM   #9
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

Not a fun task., but PSO or POSP scope can be shimmed for windage or elevation by disassembling the base/clamp and using shim stock from a feeler gauge or aluminum can material.
Trial and error but will move the reticule to center view.
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 11:56 AM   #10
Warhead65

AKaholic #: 162395

I have been playing around with PSO style scopes for some time now. Using these optics on the Tigr, NDM-86, Romak III, and most recently PSL Rifles; I have found once properly zeroed for elevation, at 100 meters, the scope reticle will be a little high above center within your scope view. I have never had an windage issue, that is the reticle being to far right or left, until mounting PSO's scopes on PSL rifles. These windage issues I contribute to the PSL side mount rails being out of alignment. The remedy AK Blue describes above is the most effective method I have tried to correct the windage problem. Recently I shimmed the front end of the scope bracket .030 using strips of aluminum from a soda can placed between the scope leg mounting ends and the mounting bracket. Be careful with the mounting screws, especially on the Romanian TPS scopes as they strip easily. Use the iron sights of your rifle as a baseline for accuracy, make sure they are zeroed first and then line your scope reticle up to a point targeted with the iron sights. Once completed fire your rifle at a 100 meter target and make final adjustments. Once adjusted, loosen the top turret screws and set your drums to zero...... hope this helps.

Last edited by Warhead65; 02-10-2019 at 01:15 PM.
Warhead65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:49 PM   #11
TX-Zen

AKaholic #: 161660

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKBLUE View Post
Not a fun task., but PSO or POSP scope can be shimmed for windage or elevation by disassembling the base/clamp and using shim stock from a feeler gauge or aluminum can material.
Trial and error but will move the reticule to center view.
OP this is the only practical solution based on how I read your posts about how the optic is zeroed

Your reticule position sounds like it is within tolerance for the design and changing to another PSO style optic probably won't fix it because of how your rail is mounted to the rifle

http://RussianOptics.net
TX-Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 06:55 PM   #12
HPP
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 19940

First off those scopes (all of them) have non-centered reticules so the reticule will "move".

Is it a romanian or russian PSO? The romanian has a clamp that fits the romanian rail a bit better IMHO so if it's russian it might be a bit off because of that. There are weaver rails but they cost some bucks and back when I tried that option they didn't work very well.

You can shim the mount. Probably your only realistic option.
HPP is offline   Reply With Quote