Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Old 02-08-2019, 12:52 PM   #316
lostintejas
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183194

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreek! View Post
Well today marks another milestone, the completion of week #2...

I never thought I'd be able to make it this far...
We must never forget that freedom is never free. Freedom is the most costly thing in the world. Freedom is never paid in lump sum. Installments come due in every generation. All any of us can do is offer the generations that follow a chance for freedom.
President Ronald W, Reagan
lostintejas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 12:42 PM   #317
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

AKaholic #: 157160

Well today was a test of my breathing, I'm currently helping my nephew move into a second story apartment. Climbing up and down the stairs carrying heavy boxes and I'm barely getting winded at all. There's a definite improvent for sure, if I was still smoking I'd be panting like a dog on a hot day, lol...

I dream of the day when dead liberal bodies litter the streets
TheGreek! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 02:53 PM   #318
Night Owl
Taxed to death

AKaholic #: 158477

Quote:
Well today was a test of my breathing, I'm currently helping my nephew move into a second story apartment. Climbing up and down the stairs carrying heavy boxes and I'm barely getting winded at all. There's a definite improvent for sure, if I was still smoking I'd be panting like a dog on a hot day, lol...
Doesn't it feel great to actually feel the improvement in your breathing capacity after quitting smoking? That right there will give you the motivation to make this lifestyle change permanent. Good work Greek!
Old 02-10-2019, 06:00 PM   #319
Mandaree36
Hannibals Mentor

AKaholic #: 4562

Good to hear Steve.

Hope everyone else is staying strong in the battle.

приедьте и получите некоторых Вы трусы
Mandaree36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 06:27 PM   #320
chillypepper
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 176015

Days off suck ass.

I usually smoke about twice as much on the days off cause that's what my hands do when I ain't turning wrenches. It's the every time my hands stop moving they reach for a pack of smokes that ain't there. Also a large part of the stupid habit.

At work not so much a problem as I'm busy most the time. Sitting at home staring at the tv cause it's cold a hell out there is really getting to me. Ain't a dirty dish in this house though.

And oh look, my collectible crap on the shelf has dust on it. Not any more it don't. Anytime my hand go to grab a smoke I go clean something. Anything to keep my hands busy. And no I can't jerk off, my notmygirlfriend will be pissed when she shows up and I took care of it without her.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:03 PM   #321
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillypepper View Post
Days off suck ass.

I usually smoke about twice as much on the days off cause that's what my hands do when I ain't turning wrenches. It's the every time my hands stop moving they reach for a pack of smokes that ain't there. Also a large part of the stupid habit.

At work not so much a problem as I'm busy most the time. Sitting at home staring at the tv cause it's cold a hell out there is really getting to me. Ain't a dirty dish in this house though.

And oh look, my collectible crap on the shelf has dust on it. Not any more it don't. Anytime my hand go to grab a smoke I go clean something. Anything to keep my hands busy. And no I can't jerk off, my notmygirlfriend will be pissed when she shows up and I took care of it without her.
I dunno about days off sucking ass, I mean, a bad day off is still better than a good day at work, lol. As for staying busy, yeah, it helps. I spent today helping my nephew move into his new apartment and now I'm in the shop working on an MG42 build. Keep at it on the quitting smoking, it DOES get easier as time goes by. I just finished my second week without a smoke, it was easier getting through the second week than it was the first week.

Old 02-10-2019, 10:08 PM   #322
JohnFreeman
The bane of my existence
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 4244

Glad to hear you felt the diff Greek.... it's a big deal to feel strength come back.

Good job man!
Old 02-10-2019, 10:14 PM   #323
chillypepper
Curio & Relic

Update for the evening.

I did some shopping at the grocery store and the dollar store. then stopped by my helpers house to bs for a few. Ended up playing uncle grandpa to the baby, for a couple hours while he cut wood for the stove. His wife was at work.

This is a pretty good kid. Not the best, but he only owes about 2 grand to pay off his house, wife and tiny little girl that knows me by "uncle stinky". Just a song I play when spend time with joebaby. I also sing if you happy and you know it as well as one or two more. She don't care as long as she ain't cuttin' teeth then anything is pretty cool with her.

I made it about 20 minutes with joebaby and we went to the store and got me some Levi Garrett. I been sucking on a chaw since then.

Yep, I'm crutching it. but it got me through without a smoke. by god, I don't miss being the parent of an infant. Though it is still better than a parent of a teenager, i will admit.

Yes I did sorta cheat. I don't care. I gotta go take a shower and wash baby puke off me.
Old 02-10-2019, 10:15 PM   #324
kmarc13

AKaholic #: 162394

It does get better. You CAN do it. We can do whatever we put our mind to if we want it bad enough. You are on your way, just keep it up. I am cigarette/nicotine free for 5 plus years. Fuck that poison.
kmarc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:51 AM   #325
Black Blade
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 181106

The first two weeks are the worst then a slow decrease in the cravings over the next few weeks. I smoked 3 packs of Kools a day and when I couldn't walk up stairs without sucking for air it became painfully obvious that I had to quit and start working out.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:36 AM   #326
Extra Medium
Spectacular Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 188133

Well....I misplaced my vaporizer and ended up having 2 more smokes on saturday, which only made the cravings intensify all day sunday. I fought through them and didnt have any on Sunday though. Here's hoping Monday will be easier. Realizing I've only had 4 cigarettes over a span where I normally would have had well over two hundred makes me feel a littlebetter about it. Pretty sure I know where I left my douche flute but can't check until I go to work when the sun comes up.

Gonna keep fighting. This is gonna be a long hard battle, but I will win. Strength to all you guys trying.

They say tobacco is even more addictive than heroin. My sleep schedule is all fucked up, gonna have to stay up tonight to reset it. I'm just edgy as hell, even while constantly using lozenges. All I want to do is to just give up and buy a pack, but I'm gonna follow through this time. I've tried to quit a couple times in the past with the vape, once for 6 weeks, but ended up going back after my last vaporizer shit the bed and leaked all inside my pocket.

I'm starting to think I need to just stop leaning on the crutches and just fucking go without nicotine in any form. The hard way might be the only way for me....
Old 02-11-2019, 08:32 AM   #327
History
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163408

Be careful with the Levi (any chew), it's as or more addictive than the cigs. Before you know it you'll look like someone who's been eating shit with it all over your mouth. I'd quit that shit before it is your new cigarette.

I know, easier said than done. Get pissed at it.

Hang in there guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillypepper View Post
Update for the evening.

I did some shopping at the grocery store and the dollar store. then stopped by my helpers house to bs for a few. Ended up playing uncle grandpa to the baby, for a couple hours while he cut wood for the stove. His wife was at work.

This is a pretty good kid. Not the best, but he only owes about 2 grand to pay off his house, wife and tiny little girl that knows me by "uncle stinky". Just a song I play when spend time with joebaby. I also sing if you happy and you know it as well as one or two more. She don't care as long as she ain't cuttin' teeth then anything is pretty cool with her.

I made it about 20 minutes with joebaby and we went to the store and got me some Levi Garrett. I been sucking on a chaw since then.

Yep, I'm crutching it. but it got me through without a smoke. by god, I don't miss being the parent of an infant. Though it is still better than a parent of a teenager, i will admit.

Yes I did sorta cheat. I don't care. I gotta go take a shower and wash baby puke off me.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:19 AM   #328
SAIGA 5.45
King of the Apemen

AKaholic #: 174648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Medium View Post
Well....I misplaced my vaporizer and ended up having 2 more smokes on saturday, which only made the cravings intensify all day sunday. I fought through them and didnt have any on Sunday though. Here's hoping Monday will be easier. Realizing I've only had 4 cigarettes over a span where I normally would have had well over two hundred makes me feel a littlebetter about it. Pretty sure I know where I left my douche flute but can't check until I go to work when the sun comes up.

Gonna keep fighting. This is gonna be a long hard battle, but I will win. Strength to all you guys trying.

They say tobacco is even more addictive than heroin. My sleep schedule is all fucked up, gonna have to stay up tonight to reset it. I'm just edgy as hell, even while constantly using lozenges. All I want to do is to just give up and buy a pack, but I'm gonna follow through this time. I've tried to quit a couple times in the past with the vape, once for 6 weeks, but ended up going back after my last vaporizer shit the bed and leaked all inside my pocket.

I'm starting to think I need to just stop leaning on the crutches and just fucking go without nicotine in any form. The hard way might be the only way for me....

Never quit trying, it's okay to fail but not okay to quit trying to kick it.

Best of luck Gents. I tried 6 times myself before I kicked it.

The next Miss America will be David Hogg- Owen Benjamin.

SCAR Heavy, SCAR of might, may your peerless excellence shine forever bright. - gayest quote of the year so far.
SAIGA 5.45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #329
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

Quote:

Having four cigs when you would have smoked over two hundred cigs should make you feel more than just a little better about it, I'd say it's a big victory. Don't let it get you down, just keep at it. Also, keep thinking about going to the doctor and him telling you that they found something wrong in one (or both) of your lungs, you DONT want to experience that. It gets easier as time passes, trust me. Failure is not an option, you MUST succeed.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:45 AM   #330
bounce19712
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 8142

my dad put on a bit of weight when he quit smoking.

He quit when the no smoking in the cockpit rule came out...some captains would let him.

It was quite a battle to quit as I recall.

Hey gawd DAYUMN!!!! I just binge watched The Man in the High Castle.

EVERY SCENE has someone sucking on them things and exhaling. It really made me want to smoke. really.

watchout.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:14 AM   #331
dsrt4

AKaholic #: 166492

My sister that quit using ecigs lost her vape thing... once...
Now she has a few cheap ones stashed in the house she only needs to fill with juice and go. It's her crutch and it's way better than her 2 pack a day Marlboro red habit.

Last edited by dsrt4; 02-11-2019 at 11:24 AM.
dsrt4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:53 PM   #332
cobra45

AKaholic #: 172197

I did not Read through the whole Thread just page 1 and 10 but Good job Greek!
I smoked 1-2 pack a day for 21 years. It was my biggest vice and I wanted to quit and tried several times. last year I told my wife I was going to try chantex (however you spell it) again. After getting a perscription from my doctor I went to the pharmacy and they told me a 2 month supply was $268! I decided to try something free and watched a hypnotheripy video. I am dead serious after listening and relaxing I went from 2 packs to 7 cigs my first day, 1/2 cig my second. 3rd quit and I feel better. I still hang out and shoot with friends that smoke but have no desire to have one after a week of listening to this. I also feel more relaxed. its worth a try if you have a spare 50 minutes and a quiet room.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcosBFS7lA8&t=34s
cobra45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 07:52 PM   #333
JohnFreeman
The bane of my existence
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 4244

Good to read all the progress made ( including "uncle stinky") . :-)

Keep after it men... you're over the worst of it.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:04 AM   #334
Extra Medium
Spectacular Member
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Having four cigs when you would have smoked over two hundred cigs should make you feel more than just a little better about it, I'd say it's a big victory. Don't let it get you down, just keep at it. Also, keep thinking about going to the doctor and him telling you that they found something wrong in one (or both) of your lungs, you DONT want to experience that. It gets easier as time passes, trust me. Failure is not an option, you MUST succeed.
Thanks man. Found the vape at work. Gonna keep at it.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:02 AM   #335
silvermane_1
((the wagons))anti-troll brigade CO

AKaholic #: 170966

Quote:
Thanks man. Found the vape at work. Gonna keep at it.
You to get you're self a vape holster there Extra Medium.
"Sic semper nova orbis terrae ordinatio collectarius"-Me

i'm a anti-zionist: http://www.antizionism.org
---------------------------------
BAN SIG 2018-19
silvermane_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:34 AM   #336
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

And so begins day 18 without a smoke...

I paid special attention climbing the 17 steps up to the lunchroom at work this morning, I was barely winded at all. I'm seeing some definite improvement now. No more morning hack and now I can climb those stairs at work and not be panting when I reach the top. I'm not ready to run any marathons yet but the improvements in my breathing are a very welcome change...

Old 02-12-2019, 08:41 AM   #337
a-kmanator
server is busy-try again later

AKaholic #: 7569
Location: 100 yards to your right...If you can read this..You're in Range...

Good for you Steve! Keep it going!
a-kmanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:55 AM   #338
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

Oh and thanks again everybody for the encouragement and support, it really does mean a lot. It helped me to stay strong and not give up, I didn't want to fail and let you (and me) down. I still have moments of weakness when I would love to have a smoke but then I think about getting full blown emphysema and having to tow around an oxygen tank or worse yet, the doctor telling me that the thing in my lung has turned into cancer and suddenly having that smoke looks a lot less appealing. Anyway, thanks again everybody for all the encouragement and support, I really appreciate it...

Old 02-12-2019, 09:03 PM   #339
GuzziMike
DEPLORABLE

AKaholic #: 159432

Quote:
And so begins day 18 without a smoke...

I paid special attention climbing the 17 steps up to the lunchroom at work this morning, I was barely winded at all. I'm seeing some definite improvement now. No more morning hack and now I can climb those stairs at work and not be panting when I reach the top. I'm not ready to run any marathons yet but the improvements in my breathing are a very welcome change...
Have you noticed your taste buds improving as well..?

That was a pleasant change I found when I quit smoking.

-

PALMS 7.62-39: Though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil, for I wield a mighty AK, and I'm Reckoning to Go Medieval on thy Marxist Demons

-
GuzziMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:46 PM   #340
Mandaree36
Hannibals Mentor

AKaholic #: 4562

You know I keep reading how your taste buds are supposed to improve.

All I know is....some foods taste funny now, old favorites taste like shit.

Meanwhile, my sense of smell is off the fucking charts. Seriously....

Anyone else?

Oh and today was great, stuck in a sea of smokers. When they were lighting up, it smelled kind of good. When they came back into the training room...they fucking reeked bad. As in making me sick bad.

Weird.

приедьте и получите некоторых Вы трусы
Mandaree36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:51 PM   #341
PRasko

AKaholic #: 189488

Don't wait, get a biopsy done pronto. If your doctor won't do one, go to another doctor.

My mom smoked 40+ years, finally quit when she started having trouble breathing and fatigue. She had seen 3 pulmonologists, 2 cardiologists and a gastrologist. All of them found nothing but the same "benign" lump in her right lung. 1 cm at the time. Her final pulmonologist at the time finally blanketed her with COPD, which she doesn't have, just to shut her up from trying to figure out what was wrong. She had a CT done in august of 2016 from this "Doctor" and he said come back in a year to see if her spot had grown.

Fast forward to august of 2017, and she passed out in the bathroom, rushed to the ER. In that year and had lost 70lbs in 8 months from lack of eating. No other doctor would see her because she was diagnosed with "copd." In the ER they found out she had a Pulmonary embolism, and a mass in her media-sternum that measured 8.8 cm. Small cell carcinoma. This is not the benign mass they had seen in her right lung before, it was new. Or so we thought, because it had been seen on the scan in 2016, and that "Doctor" failed to notify us of it. Then it has measured just short of 3 cm.

She's laying in a hospice bed right now as we speak because there is nothing further they can do. She fought for a year and a half. The cancer in her body is gone. The chemo shrunk it back down to 4.8 cm, and the combination of opdivo yervoy immunotherapy killed it off, but it had already spread to her brain, and 2 full rounds of WBRT later, it continued to grow and spread in her head.

If we had known in 2016, and she had that mass biopsied, we would have started treatment then, and she would, in all likelihood, be sitting on my couch 100% cancer free.

Don't waste time. Get it biopsied and make sure its benign. Please.
Old 02-12-2019, 09:55 PM   #342
Seven Click's Up

AKaholic #: 13362

Was using Skoal "dip."
I'm on the patches now.
They seem to work, as long as I chew some gum, to give me the taste.
Good luck to all.
Seven Click's Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:00 PM   #343
Seven Click's Up

AKaholic #: 13362

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRasko View Post
Don't wait, get a biopsy done pronto. If your doctor won't do one, go to another doctor.

My mom smoked 40+ years, finally quit when she started having trouble breathing and fatigue. She had seen 3 pulmonologists, 2 cardiologists and a gastrologist. All of them found nothing but the same "benign" lump in her right lung. 1 cm at the time. Her final pulmonologist at the time finally blanketed her with COPD, which she doesn't have, just to shut her up from trying to figure out what was wrong. She had a CT done in august of 2016 from this "Doctor" and he said come back in a year to see if her spot had grown.

Fast forward to august of 2017, and she passed out in the bathroom, rushed to the ER. In that year and had lost 70lbs in 8 months from lack of eating. No other doctor would see her because she was diagnosed with "copd." In the ER they found out she had a Pulmonary embolism, and a mass in her media-sternum that measured 8.8 cm. Small cell carcinoma. This is not the benign mass they had seen in her right lung before, it was new. Or so we thought, because it had been seen on the scan in 2016, and that "Doctor" failed to notify us of it. Then it has measured just short of 3 cm.

She's laying in a hospice bed right now as we speak because there is nothing further they can do. She fought for a year and a half. The cancer in her body is gone. The chemo shrunk it back down to 4.8 cm, and the combination of opdivo yervoy immunotherapy killed it off, but it had already spread to her brain, and 2 full rounds of WBRT later, it continued to grow and spread in her head.

If we had known in 2016, and she had that mass biopsied, we would have started treatment then, and she would, in all likelihood, be sitting on my couch 100% cancer free.

My God. I'm so sorry.
Hang in there. I hope other people hear this, and change their lifestyle.
Stay strong my friend.
I know it's easy to say, but hard to do.
I will keep you in my prayers. I promise.
Seven Click's Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:00 PM   #344
chillypepper
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandaree36 View Post

Anyone else?

Oh and today was great, stuck in a sea of smokers. When they were lighting up, it smelled kind of good. When they came back into the training room...they fucking reeked bad. As in making me sick bad.

Weird.
Yes, very much that. It'll flip flop for until about a month and half in.

Also try to drink a cool glass of water. You'll know what I mean, when you can't even stand the smell of tap water, then the tastebuds are getting back into order.

Basically your whole body is going through this and it's way to much to do at once for each and ever system in the body. Otherwise it would be easy. Each little part of you or me needs it's own chance to bitch about the change.

Just don't try to quit coffee yet. You'll end up all Edgar Allen Poe on us. Give quitting smoking a few more weeks before you take that on.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:16 PM   #345
sineypem
Texas Member

AKaholic #: 175069

Smoked Marlboro red for years, did the Vape thing for just short of a year found a flavor that worked for me which helped, going on year 2 now. So much money saved or redirected toward other hobbies. Anyone trying to quit you can do it!
Old 02-12-2019, 10:18 PM   #346
Sigiloso
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 185454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandaree36 View Post

Anyone else?

Weird.
Yeah, when I quit I didn't notice much in the way of taste buds, but smell was a whole new world.

And yes the smoke still smells good, but the residue on people and things, stinks.

"As director of the American Civil Liberties Union, I am for Socialism, disarmament and ultimately for abolishing the State itself...we seek the social ownership of property...and the sole control of those who produce wealth. Communism is the goal." -1935, Roger Baldwin, Founder ACLU

sinestram delenda est
Sigiloso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:37 PM   #347
History
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163408

So sorry for the situation you and your mother are in.

Quote:

Old 02-12-2019, 11:27 PM   #348
Extra Medium
Spectacular Member
Bronze Contributor

Damn PRasco. Very sorry to hear. Very sorry.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:34 AM   #349
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

Quote:

Man that sucks, sorry to hear the bad news about your mom. I hope that my doctor doesn't fail to notify me of anything like what happened with your mom. You should try to sue him for malpractice or something, it's inexcusable to not notify you of something like that. Anyway, I really don't want to have what's in my lung biopsied because wouldn't it be a major surgery just to get to it? It's in the middle of my right lung and it's so small (about half a centimeter) that they might as well just remove it if they're going to go that far with it. They want me to come back in a year to have another scan but I'm going to go every six months instead even if I have to pay for it out of pocket because I don't want to give what's in my lung a full year to get worse if it's going to get worse, I want to stay ahead of it.

Old 02-13-2019, 12:43 AM   #350
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuzziMike View Post
Have you noticed your taste buds improving as well..?

That was a pleasant change I found when I quit smoking.

-
Nope, everything still seems to take like it did before I quit. Same with my sense of smell, it too seems to be the same. If those senses are improving it's doing it slowly.