Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AR15 / AR10

Notices

Old 07-15-2018, 09:26 PM   #1
TXsailor
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 193986
Default AR10 guys...

So, I've got this AR10. It's an Armalite. I've had it for 5 years, but I never really connected with it, and know next to nothing about it other than that I bought it brand new and have barely shot it.

I've been trying to trade it away for an M1A but no luck lol. So, seeing as I'm apparently stuck with it, I'm trying to learn to love it lol. I'm not finding a lot googling reviews, so how are these seen in the AR10 world? Was it money wasted? Or should I actually be happy to have it?

TXsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:54 PM   #2
15Tango

AKaholic #: 190776

Does it take the Armalite specific mags ? You may be stuck with a nice
Rifle really. Not what you want just sell it
15Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:22 PM   #3
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

They made better than many.

The magazines aren't an issue anymore.

If you need spares they are available and work well.

Parts swapping is fairly easy on them if and custom stuff is desired.

I have a couple like that.

I changed one to a carbine with a 16 inch barrel and collapsible stock.

I can swap uppers between the two.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:29 PM   #4
TXsailor
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15Tango View Post
Does it take the Armalite specific mags ? You may be stuck with a nice
Rifle really. Not what you want just sell it
Yeah, theyíre Armalite specific.

Iíve just never really connected with it the way I do other rifles, but itís my only .308 so if I canít get a trade for it, Iíll just hang onto it.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:30 PM   #5
Stanze

AKaholic #: 188495

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXsailor View Post
So, I've got this AR10. It's an Armalite. I've had it for 5 years, but I never really connected with it, and know next to nothing about it other than that I bought it brand new and have barely shot it.

I've been trying to trade it away for an M1A but no luck lol. So, seeing as I'm apparently stuck with it, I'm trying to learn to love it lol. I'm not finding a lot googling reviews, so how are these seen in the AR10 world? Was it money wasted? Or should I actually be happy to have it?

AR does better than the M1A in mud and sand tests on In Range TV. Accurate and easier to mount optics and accessories. What's not to be happy about owning a AR10?

AR mud test video:
https://youtu.be/YAneTFiz5WU

M1A mud test video: https://youtu.be/PYfGq1yk66Q

AR and M1A sand test video: https://youtu.be/mrPjlcJ3rtY
Stanze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:34 PM   #6
TXsailor
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanze View Post
AR does better than the M1A in mud and sand tests on In Range TV. Accurate and easier to mount optics and accessories. What's not to be happy about owning a AR10?

AR mud test video:
https://youtu.be/YAneTFiz5WU

M1A mud test video: https://youtu.be/PYfGq1yk66Q

AR and M1A sand test video: https://youtu.be/mrPjlcJ3rtY
I know it’s silly, but I’m an emotional dude. I just like to connect with my rifles. I chose the AR10 getting into .308 for the ergonomics and ease of mounting a rail, but this thing has sat in my safe next to 1,000rds of ammo for 5 years untouched, but I keep looking at M1As lol. Same reason my AR15s don’t get half the range time my AKs do, and why I carry a 1911 rather than .45 Glock.

But that’s what I’m doing here, lol. Trying to convince myself I love it.

Last edited by TXsailor; 07-15-2018 at 11:40 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:32 AM   #7
praxidike
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 191101

Quote:
I know itís silly, but Iím an emotional dude. I just like to connect with my rifles. I chose the AR10 getting into .308 for the ergonomics and ease of mounting a rail, but this thing has sat in my safe next to 1,000rds of ammo for 5 years untouched, but I keep looking at M1As lol. Same reason my AR15s donít get half the range time my AKs do, and why I carry a 1911 rather than .45 Glock.

But thatís what Iím doing here, lol. Trying to convince myself I love it.
Just sell it outright? Put it in ArmsList, GunBroker, or in the Market Place, and see if you can get any bites... Use the money to buy something you'll accually will use and enjoy.
praxidike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:54 AM   #8
Trvrswsr1234

AKaholic #: 193880

Post it for a fare price if your not in a rush to sell her

Then put the money towards a ptr , m1a or ammo for guns you do like
Trvrswsr1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:26 AM   #9
15Tango

AKaholic #: 190776

Why don't you take it out and put a few hundred rounds through it and then see how you like it. You may. I have the same rifle but with a 16" pencil barrel and green furniture. I really like mine. The only downside is the magazines. Hard to find and expensive.
15Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 11:10 AM   #10
TXsailor
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15Tango View Post
Why don't you take it out and put a few hundred rounds through it and then see how you like it. You may. I have the same rifle but with a 16" pencil barrel and green furniture. I really like mine. The only downside is the magazines. Hard to find and expensive.
They're pricey, but magazines can be bought from Armalite.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:06 PM   #11
Il Cattivo
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 180088

Armalite is still in the process of completing its move to Arizona, last I heard. Having said that, Armalite has been known to offer the occasional bulk sale on its Armalite-specific magazines.
Il Cattivo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:26 PM   #12
smithy72
Contributor

AKaholic #: 187266

Have maintained/rebuilt several dozen factory Armalites have not impressed me ,QC is very poor. Guns out of the box range from ok to feeling like their full of sand ,selectors on one stiff next loose ,etc.
Sell it and buy a rifle you want to own.
smithy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:24 PM   #13
TXsailor
Veteran Member

Well, I took her out to try to fall in love...

10 rounds of Federal Premium at 100yds, 5x magnification scope.

I DEFINITELY love the .308 round more. Still wishing it was an M1A lol.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:45 AM   #14
AK-104
Stroke My Member

AKaholic #: 162667

Life is too short to hold onto a rifle that doesn't appeal to you. Years ago, I used to think of myself as a collector, and owned what seemed like one of just about everything. Then, one day, I realized just how much money I had tied up in firearms that mostly sat in the safe unfired. It just didn't make any sense. So, I sold/traded away every single gun that I don't use regularly with the exception being guns I inherited from my dad. I've been much happier, and so has my wallet.

These days, every single firearm I own must serve a purpose for me or it is not going to be here. Do you hunt? If so, do you hunt something bigger than those medium sized dogs y'all call deer down in your neck of the woods ? Do you have access to more than 500 yard distances to shoot? Does the price of .308 ammo make sense for what you will use it for?

Those are the questions I would be asking myself, and I would make my decision from there. At any rate, it doesn't sound like the Armalite is the right rifle for you and I'd move it along. I would just evaluate whether or not to trade it for something similar (caliber anyway) that may also sit in the safe serving little purpose.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:56 AM   #15
burninglegs
Where we go one we go all

AKaholic #: 183372

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-104 View Post
Life is too short to hold onto a rifle that doesn't appeal to you. Years ago, I used to think of myself as a collector, and owned what seemed like one of just about everything. Then, one day, I realized just how much money I had tied up in firearms that mostly sat in the safe unfired. It just didn't make any sense. So, I sold/traded away every single gun that I don't use regularly with the exception being guns I inherited from my dad. I've been much happier, and so has my wallet.

These days, every single firearm I own must serve a purpose for me or it is not going to be here. Do you hunt? If so, do you hunt something bigger than those medium sized dogs y'all call deer down in your neck of the woods ? Do you have access to more than 500 yard distances to shoot? Does the price of .308 ammo make sense for what you will use it for?

Those are the questions I would be asking myself, and I would make my decision from there. At any rate, it doesn't sound like the Armalite is the right rifle for you and I'd move it along. I would just evaluate whether or not to trade it for something similar (caliber anyway) that may also sit in the safe serving little purpose.
Solid advice here. I have consolidated as well over the last year. I'm not a collector so collecting guns for the historical aspect to never shoot them or take them out once a year means nothing to me. Guns are tools. They serve a purpose. I train and practice with them. If I don't have a role for the gun, then it is a waste and just taking up room. I'd rather condense my guns and have quality over quantity. Life is too short to have a gun that you don't like, won't use, can't trust, overlaps with other guns you already have.
burninglegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:47 AM   #16
TXsailor
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-104 View Post

While I am a collector, everything else I have DOES appeal to me, and makes me happy just knowing i have it, except this one lol.

The caliber definitely appeals to me, but I've got the rifle up in the MP. No takers as of yet though. I imagine most looking to get into .308 ARs are going the PSA route to save money lol.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:58 AM   #17
jimbo54

AKaholic #: 165559

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...516446483.html

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-...516445313.html

Hard not to at these prices. This will be my first rifle in 308. Free shipping to boot.
jimbo54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 06:38 PM   #18
TXsailor
Veteran Member

Unfortunately the AR10 market seems to have gone the opposite direction of the other markets
Old 07-23-2018, 09:51 AM   #19
PeterGriffin

AKaholic #: 179306

Quote:
They're pricey, but magazines can be bought from Armalite.
...sending you a PM, I have two brand new 20-rounders looking for a home...
PeterGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:18 AM   #20
TXsailor
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterGriffin View Post
...sending you a PM, I have two brand new 20-rounders looking for a home...
Responded! Thank you sir!