Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gear & Accessories

Notices

Old 07-19-2018, 12:14 PM   #1
P'Toingg

AKaholic #: 184238
Default Atlantic drum 95 rnds 5.45 reliability / feeding issues ??

I plan to purchase this mag for the IPSC rifle, in order to have a much lower rifle when shooting prone.

I would like to get some user's feedback about range use of this AtlanticFirearms double drum mag.

What kind of issues did users have ? Breakage in "normal" use, feeding , reliability ?

Thank you
P'Toingg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:55 PM   #2
panzertruppe
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3934

Link?

panzertruppe
panzertruppe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:33 AM   #3
P'Toingg

Link*!

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/com...mm-detail.html

Anyway, you got it, use(d) it and know it, or you don't.

A blabla useless post about plastic made and so so was already written some years ago.

What I wish is a return on EXPERIMENT by USERS.
THANKS

Last edited by P'Toingg; 07-22-2018 at 05:34 AM. Reason: wrote // written
Old 07-22-2018, 05:55 AM   #4
ThunderGod
Have Hammer, Will Smite
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 62

Handled but did not shoot with one. Felt/looked just like a modified KCI .223 100rnd doubledrum. Buy 3 Circle 10 mags and move on.

URCX: Your Best Friend on the Internet!

Neither Bee, nor Borg.
ThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #5
chknfkr
Low balling stupid BASTARD

AKaholic #: 172241

I've had a few of them, they run great until they don't run at all.

Run lots of dry lube in them and you'll get some extra life out of it.

I had pics up before the great photobucket fiasco, if I can find them you'll see when the fail, they do so quite spectacularly

The MANY uses of an AK cleaning kit and rod

Кучка Булка Курва Зараза
chknfkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:02 AM   #6
chknfkr

Here we go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknfkr View Post
My first malfunction with the drum. This happened approximately 20 rounds into the drum:

Tap rack bang got me back in service for approximately 20 more rounds, then this happened:

Tap rack bang did not get me back in service:

Something isn't working right:

Apparently the left drum jammed up, but the right continued feeding until the follower pieces made it to the bottom of the feed tower:

at this point I dumped out the loose rounds in the tower, as i did the right side followers pushed up to the top. So at this point i have linked follower pieces up the right side of the tower and live rounds up the left side of the tower. The only solution I can see is to remove the feed tower to clear the drum. I have emailed Blaine at Atlantic the full details and pictures. I will not tear into the drum until he gives me the green light. I'm holding off in case they would like more detailed pictures, etc... before i do anything.

I'll keep you guys posted.
Quote:
The two screws front and back that hold the tower on came off very easily. When the tower came off the right side follower fell out, the left side was still jammed up. Just shifting the drum around to get a better look was all it took for the left side to jettison all the rounds, but it choked up on the follower.

That was when i saw the single live cartridge that had turned sideways. Some more poking around and the right side follower came flying out, but it was still choked up on that cartridge turned sideways.

Since the windows are not joined in the middle i very cautiously removed the screw in the center of the left drum. After it was removed i half expected the spring to push the drum apart, it did not. In fact the window was so tightly fitted that at first i could not remove it. After gently turning the window back and forth several times I was able to remove the left side window.

Much to my surprise the spring is very well retained, nothing jumped up and bit me or unwound on me as i had expected. Unsure of how the spring, and the inner cylinder were retained i didn't want to risk lifting them out. Instead i turned the cylinder clockwise while applying light downward pressure, just in case the spring did decide to unwind. I turned it until the follower push bar had cleared the cartridge, then simply rolled it out of the way.

I did not observe any damage inside the drum. All surfaces inside the drum had traces of graphite lube on them, so i am not certain that lube is the issue. It baffles me how a round got turned sideways, the way things things are built should not have made that possible.

After reassembling it everything appears to be in perfect working order. I have not reloaded it yet, but i do not foresee any problems going forward.

Hopefully this information and the attached photos will be of some use to you.

If you see something that i missed, please let me know.

Кучка Булка Курва Зараза
Old 07-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #7
panzertruppe
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3934

Hmmmm,

One day we'll make a mag as good as our ex-commie buddies did... One day... Why copy them and do it now...?.... That's so unamerican... Sigh...

panzertruppe
panzertruppe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:55 PM   #8
RMiller
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 170327

I was just about to say Chknfkr was the man to talk to.

I watched that one eat dirt.

Join the GOA
RMiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 05:13 PM   #9
Funkerman

AKaholic #: 175301

All due respect P'toingg, you're better off with things like the Puf gun mags for reliability, than the shoehorned Beta mag copy. Hell, you're more likely to get those Izhmash RPK16 drums than we are, so that MIGHT be an option. God knows I wish I could find one.Rob ski did a review on these some time back.

Last edited by Funkerman; 07-23-2018 at 01:52 AM.
Funkerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:19 AM   #10
P'Toingg

Thank you very much Chknfkr.

To all : what interests me in that Atlantic mag is the very low firearm profile. I am shooting the IPSC-Rifle with a Tantal and sometimes the 30 rds mag on the ground makes the rifle to high to shot through very low "windows" and I must cant my rifle. OK up to 50 yds, but when it comes to shoot 200 yds with a 45 or 60 canted rifle, that's a whole different story and a lot of "miss".

"Eastern" drum would make the firearm a bit lower but not that much compared to the 30 rounds mag.

The gun fitted with the Atlantic is extremely low on the ground, I think even lower than an AR with a 15 rnds mag.

That's why I am interested in the Atlantic double drum. If gun heigh comes before capacity, the Atlantic offers both.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:56 AM   #11
chknfkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by P'Toingg View Post
Thank you very much Chknfkr.

To all : what interests me in that Atlantic mag is the very low firearm profile. I am shooting the IPSC-Rifle with a Tantal and sometimes the 30 rds mag on the ground makes the rifle to high to shot through very low "windows" and I must cant my rifle. OK up to 50 yds, but when it comes to shoot 200 yds with a 45 or 60 canted rifle, that's a whole different story and a lot of "miss".

"Eastern" drum would make the firearm a bit lower but not that much compared to the 30 rounds mag.

The gun fitted with the Atlantic is extremely low on the ground, I think even lower than an AR with a 15 rnds mag.

That's why I am interested in the Atlantic double drum. If gun heigh comes before capacity, the Atlantic offers both.
No problem. It is very low profile, and when it works it works. The problem is when it doesn't work, you aren't getting it running again in the field.

Кучка Булка Курва Зараза

Last edited by chknfkr; 07-24-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 07-24-2018, 06:20 PM   #12
Atlantic Firearms
Curio & Relic
Vendor

AKaholic #: 4032

Folks just so we can be clear these AK74 drums are not made by Atlantic Firearms. The drums are made in Korea & have been sold by Atlantic, Arms of America , Center-fire , Classic etc .

Atlantic Firearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:37 AM   #13
P'Toingg

Quote:
No problem. It is very low profile, and when it works it works. The problem is when it doesn't work, you aren't getting it running again in the field.
Thanks for the last pics, they are very convincing with regards to my "low window" issue. I will order 2 at Atlantic, one on line and one in the range bag. Should it jams, well, back to hell trying to shoot a 45 or even 90 canted gun at 150-200 meters