Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Survival and Preparedness

Notices

Old 02-20-2017, 03:03 PM   #176
drjarhead
MODERATOR and Mad Doctor

AKaholic #: 5952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortis View Post
There are things about p90x that I like, & some that I don't. The 'Lawnmower' is one of them, I think it's a bad technique. I had done dumbell rows for years but had always used a flat bench instead of the opposite knee for support (as they do it). It provides more stabilty imo. For whatever reason I went with their technique & over-extended...boom, been dealing with that day ever since. I don't do ANY exercise now that puts a one-sided torque(twist) on my back under heavy load, only equal force using both hands. Some other trainers I've looked into agree that this puts the lower back in danger of injury & should be avoided. This doesn't include doing core exercises that use bands, etc which are good for stabilizing muscles.
Also, I've realized that using heavier weights isn't really neccessary (for me). I've already got good size/strength & have for years, but ignored a more scientific approach that develops muscles in a more balanced way. P90x does not address this. Muscle confusion sure, muscle balance? No. That is where I'm at now. I would rather be fit, strong & healthy, than 'big' & crippled.
I agree with you to an extent. There are a few exercises in their program I won't do for the reasons you note but lawnmowers don't bother me at all.

Congdon locomotives are one I absolutely will not do, period.
In the PlyoX workout they have hotfoot, which is hopping around on one foot. I won't do that one either. Damn knee injury waiting to happen.

Core work for the back.

Lawnmowers is one where I go a little lower weight and do more reps so that might be why I haven't had problems in that regard.

I did have a significant injury this year lifting. First time ever in almost 50 years. Damn....sucked....just starting to get back into lifting much again.
Lot of cardio this winter....LOL

I'm a firm believer that people should tweak their workouts to meet their own needs, limitations and goals. I sure do.
Old 02-20-2017, 03:23 PM   #177
Dave Williams
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163660

Just an update. Down another 4 lbs this week. Clean eating, caloric deficit, lots of water and no alcohol. Almost 40 lbs down from starting weight Dec. 1st (323) Feb. 20 I'm at 286. 61 lbs to go.
Dave Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:39 AM   #178
bearpaws1973

AKaholic #: 165942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
Just an update. Down another 4 lbs this week. Clean eating, caloric deficit, lots of water and no alcohol. Almost 40 lbs down from starting weight Dec. 1st (323) Feb. 20 I'm at 286. 61 lbs to go.
Holy Crap Dave! Awesome! Way to keep plugging away!

Lucky7
bearpaws1973 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:16 PM   #179
ol okie
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 171009

Just started deadlifting and squats again. I've wanted to do squats for years but had no rack. I got a wild hair and googled squat racks and boom, 134.00 bucks and two days later I got one. I started out with 135pds 4 sets of ten, till I get my muscles stretched out. I'll do this for 3 workouts then start to add weight. I've been walkin/jogging 1.7 miles in 20 mins since February 1st. I can tell I feel better everyday. Any workout ideas guys??
Old 02-23-2017, 06:10 PM   #180
Dragynn
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 170546

Question for you guys who are knowledgeable, especially if you have some medical chops:

I thought I was kicking ass for a 50+ year old guy when I was still in Texas at 500 feet or so above sea level, trotting down the road with a loaded alice pack (around 60 pounds or so) for strength and endurance training.

Now at 3000 feet and in the mountains where every run involves 6 degree grades or more for extended periods, I don't feel quite so badass, lol.

Got bad knees and a bad back, and was wondering now that spring is here and enough snow has melted that I can resume, what might be some specific targeted exercises to get ready before I start humping it again?
((DB)) Deplorable Basterd brigade #47
Dragynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:44 PM   #181
Solid Snake 7.62
Anti-social
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 183324

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragynn View Post
Question for you guys who are knowledgeable, especially if you have some medical chops:

I thought I was kicking ass for a 50+ year old guy when I was still in Texas at 500 feet or so above sea level, trotting down the road with a loaded alice pack (around 60 pounds or so) for strength and endurance training.

Now at 3000 feet and in the mountains where every run involves 6 degree grades or more for extended periods, I don't feel quite so badass, lol.

Got bad knees and a bad back, and was wondering now that spring is here and enough snow has melted that I can resume, what might be some specific targeted exercises to get ready before I start humping it again?
Maybe this will help, maybe not. But still a good workout for anyone reading.

I have an interval timer app on my phone that I can program timers for various workouts. I put on a backpack loaded with phone books and a weight plate (it weighs about 30 pounds). I get in front of a step and start the timer. I step up and down on a step for two minutes. Not rapid but brisk. Full extension on each stepup. I get into a rhythm so I alternate the stepping foot. After two minutes, I step back and do squats for one minute. Very slow and controlled. I get about twelve squats in during that minute with about ten seconds to catch my breath. So that's two minutes of weighted stepups, and one minutes of squats. I do ten rounds for a total of thirty minutes.

For the first couple rounds, you'll be saying "This is too easy, Solid Snake is full of shit." At about round six, you'll be saying "Okay, I was wrong, this is a workout." At about round nine, you'll be watching your timer saying, "Jesus, fucking beep already!" After I do this thirty minute routine, I'm sweating almost as much as after a thirty minute run. I'm breathing almost as hard as after a thirty minute run. But my knees and ankles didn't take the pounding from a run, and I worked those leg muscles more.

"Let's do this!" - Leeroy Jenkins
Solid Snake 7.62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:14 PM   #182
drjarhead
MODERATOR and Mad Doctor

AKaholic #: 5952

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragynn View Post

PlyoX

--go easy on your knees with some of it.
--bike-hard

Always warm up and stretch. Very important for what you're doing esp colder temps.

Also consider glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM and get your VitC. Fresh fruit is a good way, obviously.

And drink your milk, get some dietary magnesium. Look it up.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:00 PM   #183
ol okie
Veteran Member

+1 on the msm. It works.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:35 PM   #184
Solid Snake 7.62
Anti-social
Silver Contributor

First half marathon coming up in 60 days. I've got bets with two friends (no money, just bragging rights) but my ultimate goal is to break the 2-hour mark. A week and a half ago, I ran eight miles at the park at a pace of 8:40 and it felt good. If I can keep that up, I'll kill my two hour goal. I just need this Michigan weather to break. Treadmill runs are slowly chipping away at my sanity.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:22 AM   #185
bearpaws1973

I'm down 33.8 pounds since Christmas. I said if I hit 45 before summer I'm going to do one of the Spartan Races, maybe the one you can bring your dog. So going to keep plugging away, I still have 11.2 pounds to go yes!! I would actually love to lose 50 total. Today I'm doing my pull-up test and I'm hoping to hit 30 (28 will be a life time personal record) I'm weighing 197 right now when I did the 27 I weighed 181 so if I hit it I will be stronger at 43 than I was at 28 (at pull-ups)

Lucky7
Old 03-14-2017, 09:14 AM   #186
bearpaws1973

I hit my 28 on the pull up test! Yes!

https://www.facebook.com/1280215863/...8964708696514/

Excuse the music for some reason I got into dubstep when I life, I always loved metal but over the last year it just happened, who knew!

If you have facebook, here are a few vids of me doing power snatches and high pulls. My training is very dynamic and explosive, Started doing high rep back squats recently EMOM (Every minute on the minute) 165 for 10 sets 10 reps (last set went to 176 for 15 reps) I want to do this until I do 220 for 10 sets 10 reps. Then I will go back to my standard back squat and front squat routine (3-5 reps) and see if I get a carry over.

Lucky7
Old 04-02-2017, 05:52 PM   #187
Solid Snake 7.62
Anti-social
Silver Contributor

Just curious as to how everyone is doing with their fitness goals. Sticking with it? I sure am. I had a setback a couple weeks ago when I caught the flu for a day that turned into a chest cold for about a week. My half-marathon is in four weeks and I did 9.5 miles yesterday in 1:18:30. Not bad for a 40 year-old. My plan is to add half a mile to my Saturday long runs every week until the race.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:29 PM   #188
IrishCannon
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174643

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake 7.62 View Post
Just curious as to how everyone is doing with their fitness goals. Sticking with it? I sure am. I had a setback a couple weeks ago when I caught the flu for a day that turned into a chest cold for about a week. My half-marathon is in four weeks and I did 9.5 miles yesterday in 1:18:30. Not bad for a 40 year-old. My plan is to add half a mile to my Saturday long runs every week until the race.
Yessir.

4wks into my keto diet, visiting the chiro, hitting the weights hard, doing some new lifts and a little more aggressively. Feeling good again. I think I'm on the up and up for a change.

Right side of my neck is wicked tight though. Eek

Trying to find deals on some equipment but it's hard to find anything used of quality around here.
IrishCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:48 PM   #189
oakhandledsks
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 7249

6:45 pm and I still have 1850 calories left for the day. 25 mile bike ride burned off a lot. I could have some beers and a meal, or just a modest meal and wake up feeling more lean. Hmmmm.
oakhandledsks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:03 PM   #190
DrNRA

AKaholic #: 176619

Broke the 40 minute 5 mile barrier. Feeling pretty good about that.
DrNRA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:19 PM   #191
csi-tech
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 168728

I started my daily brisk walk through the neighborhood back in the ninety's. It is extremely hilly and I walk 2.5 miles every day. I try to do calisthenics that target my arthritic joints and spinae erectors. That is really getting difficult at 51. Heavy weight training took a terrible toll on my back and knees in my SWAT/Sniper days. Weights are fine but use low weight/high rep.

Pound for pound I think that alot of fast walking,low impact cycling and low calorie/high protein/low fat permanent diet has been the key for me. I may die tomorrow but with the exception of quite a bit of damage to every joint I have I feel very good.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:09 AM   #192
ol okie
Veteran Member

I'm at 2 plus miles fast walk/ run in 30 mins. I feel much better than I did b4 I started that's for sure. I'm using the hill climb settings on my treadmill now, also.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:22 PM   #193
Solid Snake 7.62
Anti-social
Silver Contributor

Just checking in (in other words, I'm bored). I've got my first half marathon coming up in six days, on the 30th. I did 11 miles two days ago and it felt good. Feeling confident that I can come in under two hours.

Old 04-24-2017, 08:13 PM   #194
sboone

AKaholic #: 179556

Never saw this thread before, must be filing with my head in the sand. Quit drinking monster and sugar drinks 2 weeks ago, and have been doing push-ups and sit-ups before I take a shower. Baby steps for now until I have more time on my hands.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:38 PM   #195
Solid Snake 7.62
Anti-social
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboone View Post
Never saw this thread before, must be filing with my head in the sand. Quit drinking monster and sugar drinks 2 weeks ago, and have been doing push-ups and sit-ups before I take a shower. Baby steps for now until I have more time on my hands.
Nothing wrong with pushups and situps. Two great exercises.

Old Yesterday, 02:10 PM   #196
bearpaws1973

Was going well, did something to my knee. It is on the mend. I was able to do 3 muscle ups the other day, but not Olympic lifts until the knee is better. Monday I squatted 155 lbs for 3 sets of 10 it is very light for me but I will take it and slowly get it back. Been doing alot of 1 leg work (1 leg dead lifts, bulgarian split squats, step ups) trying to get the conditioning better. Lots of macebell and kettlebell work and biking to keep the fat away!

Lucky7