Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Optics

Notices

Old 01-10-2019, 10:42 PM   #1
burninglegs
Where We Go One We Go All

AKaholic #: 183372
Default SOCOM awards EOTech (L3 Technologies) $26 million contract

So much for all the EOTech haters. Nice to see an American company get a big contract.

L3 Technologies Awarded $26 Million Special Operations Command Contract for EOTECH Optics

Quote:
L3 Technologies, parent company of EOTECH, has confirmed they have been awarded a $26.3 million contract to supplied the latest version of their EOTECH holographic weapon sight and G33 magnifier to USSOCOM. The five-year indefinite delivery, indefinite quantity contract will see an unspecified number of optics and magnifiers manufactured at EOTECHís plant in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...eotech-optics/
Old 01-10-2019, 11:13 PM   #2
bigdkf

AKaholic #: 196142

Guess they didn't learn from last time. Its government so that is no shocker.
bigdkf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:05 AM   #3
burninglegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdkf View Post
Or you realize that all optics go through thermal drift if you research the topic out and that EOTech actually does better than some optics like the Aimpoints. The more you know.
Old 01-11-2019, 12:41 AM   #4
bigdkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninglegs View Post
Or you realize that all optics go through thermal drift if you research the topic out and that EOTech actually does better than some optics like the Aimpoints. The more you know.
Show me those tests.
Old 01-11-2019, 01:22 AM   #5
jmano

AKaholic #: 164016

Quote:
Learn what? Big surprise, Eotech sights do exactly what every other sight does in extreme temperature shifts. The only thing Eotech did was sell the Government that they were immune to thermal drift and the Government never said they were bad sights, they just wanted to grab cash back.

When you have a big supply of taxpayer provided batteries, Eotechs really are one of the best optics to run.

Quote:
Show me those tests.
So you'll make your first statement being completely ignorant of the facts, but when your statement is corrected you all of a sudden become someone who needs data.

Look it up yourself, it's all over the place.
jmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:33 AM   #6
bigdkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmano View Post
Learn what? Big surprise, Eotech sights do exactly what every other sight does in extreme temperature shifts. The only thing Eotech did was sell the Government that they were immune to thermal drift and the Government never said they were bad sights, they just wanted to grab cash back.

When you have a big supply of taxpayer provided batteries, Eotechs really are one of the best optics to run.

So you'll make your first statement being completely ignorant of the facts, but when your statement is corrected you all of a sudden become someone who needs data.

Look it up yourself, it's all over the place.
Oh shut up triggered fanboy. I want to see his tests because i am pretty sure those are parallax tests he is talking about and NOT thermal drift tests. He made a claim Eotech does better in thermal drift I want to see it. So take a pill and pull the plug out.

Eotechs are one of the fastest at eating batteries I am not seeing how that is good for the taxpayer or the operator.
Old 01-11-2019, 02:46 AM   #7
burninglegs

Quote:
Show me those tests.
Slow your roll EOTech hater and stop being so demanding.

Quote:
Oh shut up triggered fanboy. I want to see his tests because i am pretty sure those are parallax tests he is talking about and NOT thermal drift tests. He made a claim Eotech does better in thermal drift I want to see it. So take a pill and pull the plug out.

Eotechs are one of the fastest at eating batteries I am not seeing how that is good for the taxpayer or the operator.
Why don't you research out topics first before you have such a strong opinion on them.

And no, I am not speaking of parallax tests. I was specific and direct in the words I wrote. I am speaking about thermal drift tests.

All optics are affected by thermal drift. An optic can not, not be affected. Going from a warm environment to a cold one will lead to the metal housing/frame of the optic to contract. Going from a cold environment to a warm one will cause the metal housing/frame of the optic to expand. All of that will impact the reticle drift. It is these changes from the temperature that the optic was zero'd at to an extreme temperature that will give you that thermal drift in the new environment due to the shrinking or expanding of the metal housing/frame. This isn't rocket science stuff. All of these high end/military/spec ops optics are made out of metal.

We know EOTech had thermal drift from the military testing and that whole ordeal.

We know the Trijicon MRO has thermal drift from Trijicon's own testing and admission.

We know Aimpoint has issues with thermal drift as well.

Again it isn't about how high end a company is. It is the use of metals frame/housing that then goes through extreme temperature change from when it was zero'd to when it is used in a new environment that causes the thermal drift. If you are going to use the optic in a hot summer day, zero it in the hot summer day. If you are going to use the optic in the frigid northern snow storm, zero it in the frigid northern snow storm. Otherwise zero'ing it in the frigid northern snow storm and then taking it to the hot summer day in the desert will give you thermal drift.
Old 01-11-2019, 07:59 AM   #8
MOTOROLANUT
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187095

Wonder how much $ in kickbacks/reelection funds that was paid to some in congress and or the MIC to get this contract. LMAO
MOTOROLANUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 07:59 AM   #9
Trvrswsr1234
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 193880

At least EOtech admitted theyre screw up and improved it meanwhile pretty much every other company continues to lie through theyre teeth when they say "parallax free"
Trvrswsr1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 08:52 AM   #10
Bagherra

AKaholic #: 182343

I'd buy another EoTech.....
Bagherra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:22 AM   #11
bigdkf

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninglegs View Post
Slow your roll EOTech hater and stop being so demanding.

Why don't you research out topics first before you have such a strong opinion on them.

And no, I am not speaking of parallax tests. I was specific and direct in the words I wrote. I am speaking about thermal drift tests.

All optics are affected by thermal drift. An optic can not, not be affected. Going from a warm environment to a cold one will lead to the metal housing/frame of the optic to contract. Going from a cold environment to a warm one will cause the metal housing/frame of the optic to expand. All of that will impact the reticle drift. It is these changes from the temperature that the optic was zero'd at to an extreme temperature that will give you that thermal drift in the new environment due to the shrinking or expanding of the metal housing/frame. This isn't rocket science stuff. All of these high end/military/spec ops optics are made out of metal.

We know EOTech had thermal drift from the military testing and that whole ordeal.

We know the Trijicon MRO has thermal drift from Trijicon's own testing and admission.

We know Aimpoint has issues with thermal drift as well.

Again it isn't about how high end a company is. It is the use of metals frame/housing that then goes through extreme temperature change from when it was zero'd to when it is used in a new environment that causes the thermal drift. If you are going to use the optic in a hot summer day, zero it in the hot summer day. If you are going to use the optic in the frigid northern snow storm, zero it in the frigid northern snow storm. Otherwise zero'ing it in the frigid northern snow storm and then taking it to the hot summer day in the desert will give you thermal drift.
Eotech hater? No they have some advantages over a traditional red dot. But I call bullshit when I see it. In other words you got nothing. I know all optics are affected by thermal drift. You said the "all optics go through thermal drift if you research the topic out and that EOTech actually does better than some optics like the Aimpoints.". I never saw a credible test that showed that statement to be correct. That is why I asked. For parallax yes, Eotechs do good as far as parallax goes.

The last image you posted looks like the one from that half assed blatantly flawed "test" one guy did on ARF and posted on YT. The flaws in the test were pointed out by numerous members and the "test" was given no merit whatsover.

Last edited by bigdkf; 01-11-2019 at 10:31 AM.
Old 01-11-2019, 11:38 AM   #12
Renov8
Pax Americana-Invicta

AKaholic #: 122038

All optics have thermal drift...the only reason Eotech is on the hot sheet...they got caught by the military. If any other manufacturer telss you their products don't...they lie.

Unless you are manufacturing an optic with materials that do not expand or contract due to temperature variances, you will never have an optic not shift in extreme temperatures...I would think most would know that...apparently not.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable"
JFK

"As a society, we rediscover that the value of a right is not in what it hides, but in what it protects."
Renov8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:54 AM   #13
Aceshigh
Lord Dingus

AKaholic #: 5008

I'm happy to see an American manufacturer win the contract, and I do think EO Tech makes a fine product that MANY have copied.

However.... after seeing InterOrdnance win a multi-million dollar contract with SOCOM for AK's
It absolutely calls into question their validation process being compromised for $$$$ bribes to the right Pentagon officials.

https://thenewsrep.com/77449/a-new-1...n-made-ak-47s/

We saw I.O. AK's drop from the marketplace to civilians as well, and people were speculating they stopped that division
but it perhaps was exclusive to SOCOM in the contract......

Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961

Last edited by Aceshigh; 01-11-2019 at 12:03 PM.
Aceshigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:03 PM   #14
jmano

AKaholic #: 164016

Quote:

Haha look who's all triggered. I don't even own an Eotech, I just read the actual data back when it was an issue. Literally Eotech's only sin, was guaranteeing that they didn't have thermal drift, when that's an impossible guarantee.
jmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #15
Sabre5G
The Mouth of Sauron

AKaholic #: 181719

I love my got dampt E O tech. It is a Tactickle Operator’s perfect optic for 0-500 yards.

My friend says he has his Eotech mounted on his survival spear and is zeroed for 5 meters.

Zenith Z5RS MP5, PTR91 GIR, PTR91 K3P PDW, SLR104FR, VEPR 545 20.5, VEPR 762 20.5, 91/30, WASR 10, O PAP, M92, M70AB2, PSA AR15 Mid Length, SIG P320, G19, VP9, SIG P226R .40

Sabre5G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:20 PM   #16
burninglegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renov8 View Post
All optics have thermal drift...the only reason Eotech is on the hot sheet...they got caught by the military. If any other manufacturer telss you their products don't...they lie.

Unless you are manufacturing an optic with materials that do not expand or contract due to temperature variances, you will never have an optic not shift in extreme temperatures...I would think most would know that...apparently not.
Exactly. The only reason EOTech got into trouble was because they made claims that the military realized weren't true. That was also going on when Obama was slashing DoD funding. So j wonder if the military clawing back some of the money from EOTech might have been related to budget issues? Just speculating on that part.

The "fixed" EOTech optics now have just a MOA shift of 1.4 and 1.8. Right around where the MRO comes in. Metal expands and contracts during temp changes. Whowouodathought.

SOCOM has a lot more leeway with weapons and gear procurement. If SOCOM decided to go with EOTech again for their fighting weapons that is good enough for me.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:50 PM   #17
ddnc
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174853

EoTechs are GTG. I have several and never thought about sending them back because I have never had an issue with any of them and they have been exposed to 110+ degree temps. My only complaint is the batteries. If you leave them in the unit they will drain even if the unit is off and if the batteries leak it total FUBARS the contacts. I take them out every time when not in use. Run time is also limited because that laser sucks the power.
However, they did lie about some shit which sucks when it could get someone injured and there have been some delamination problems on some of them. How and why that occurs, I don’t know but I would buy one again.
ddnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:50 PM   #18
burninglegs

^ Yup, EOTechs use batteries up much quicker than a MRO or Ainpoint or a PA Advanced Micro red dot. Just one of their cons. But they do have pros as well. Just depends what you want to use it for and prefer.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:57 AM   #19
Trvrswsr1234
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 193880

^
Honestly i cant imagine socom gives a fuck about battery life if they are about to head out they just put a spanking new battery in

Where the battery life really lets you down is if you have a home defence rifle and you want the optic to stay on
Trvrswsr1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 07:59 AM   #20
овчарка

AKaholic #: 189949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trvrswsr1234 View Post
^
Honestly i cant imagine socom gives a fuck about battery life if they are about to head out they just put a spanking new battery in

Where the battery life really lets you down is if you have a home defence rifle and you want the optic to stay on
This. Most of the SEALs operations are rapid and are over in less than 24 hours from reading a lot of SEAL books lately so for a lot of SOCOM guys, the EOtech's battery life is a non issue.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:31 AM   #21
ddnc
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174853

Quote:
Originally Posted by овчарка View Post
..... the EOtech's battery life is a non issue.
Well since Iím not fast roping out of UH60s into the golden triangle every day, yeah itís and issue.
ddnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 05:05 PM   #22
INDYK
INDY KALASHNIKOV

AKaholic #: 149930

bigdfk Class of 2018.......

Eotech has been my go to for all my black rifles for near a decade now.

Any problems what so ever, send it back.

2, 3 owner and your finding out your 512 is experienced reticle fade, send it back.

All optics are vulnerable to thermal drift yes, have I had to adjust my Eotechs considerably through these years? not at all or ever, mounted to bp02’s to RS’s.... I even have a nib 512 ready for another friend.

Eotech GTG Heeeya! chop!

Last edited by INDYK; 01-12-2019 at 05:13 PM.
INDYK is online now   Reply With Quote