Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Shotguns

Notices

Old 01-13-2019, 04:48 PM   #36
norinco671
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 21756

Quote:
Originally Posted by овчарка View Post
Yeah, not just weight, but I once I realized the VEPR is magwell vs rock n lock it really turned me off to it.
So now we have a better idea on what your looking for in a AK type pattern shotgun. So the vepr 12 is not for you then, considering you want a rock n lock type
norinco671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 05:07 PM   #37
PRegner
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 186235

I like my Vepr-12 for the simple reason that it has a self-regulating gas system that actually works. I can load mixed magazines with everything from low-brass birdshot to mil-spec 00-Buck and will crank them all out without a hiccup. As far as OEM polymer magazines go, the Vepr seem to be the sturdiest and most well made as well (for what that's worth).

"Islam in a man is more dangerous than rabies in a dog" ~Winston Churchill~
PRegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 02:05 AM   #38
obiwanbonjovi
Vendor

AKaholic #: 8977

Quote:
Yeah, not just weight, but I once I realized the VEPR is magwell vs rock n lock it really turned me off to it.
Curious as to why you wouldnt prefer the magwell? From my experience its much easier to load, and far more robust, I dont really see any disadvantage to it at all.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:05 AM   #39
овчарка

AKaholic #: 189949

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwanbonjovi View Post
Curious as to why you wouldnt prefer the magwell? From my experience its much easier to load, and far more robust, I dont really see any disadvantage to it at all.
1. Mag availability
2. Simpler manual of arms/consistent manual of arms with other AKs
Old 01-17-2019, 05:15 AM   #40
Bandy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172801

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill3542 View Post
i checked the weight on my sons Lynx with it empty and no mag.

8 pounds and 4 ounces, sounds pretty close to the Saiga-12.
I would agree with that. Though it FEELS much lighter than then S12 I had.
Bandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 10:47 AM   #41
saltydecimator

AKaholic #: 190278

russian. look on gunbroker armslist or use riverofguns.com to search for one... you can find one for about the price of the knock-offs, yet have the good russian steel.

there is another out of china called "tak-47" that is a direct 109 clone. some australia/new zealand history, they built it, wanted it etc for shooting kangaroos, hahah
saltydecimator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:55 PM   #42
AllTen

AKaholic #: 181458

Nothing wrong w/either a gun or a woman having a little extra weight........

Both help w/absorbing recoil.
AllTen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:10 AM   #43
flakman

AKaholic #: 190767

Quote:
What's the best AK shotgun to pick up in the current market?

We have;

Lynx
VEPRs still in stock
KUSA KS-12

And of course the occasional Saiga that can be found online or locally.

What do y'all recommend?
Vepr
flakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:28 AM   #44
Veprz
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 197407

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshinestate View Post
Fixed poly stock or folding tubular on the VEPR?
Fixed. It allows you many options..factory fixed stock, wood, telescoping m4, folder, folding telescoping m4 etc.
Veprz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:49 AM   #45
Veprz
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 197407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic Firearms View Post
I will also add that we have tested the Kalashnikov USA KS 12 shotgun and have found it to be solid and reliable . To be honest we were not expecting much when they arrived but were surprised to see the build quality and machining on the parts was above our expectations. If anybody is interested in checking one of these out and posting a review we would be glad to provide you with a equitable discount and the ability to return the gun if you were not happy.
^ solid option to a S12. I have heard from reputable guys in the S12/V12 community that these are exact clones of the S12 (minus furniture).
Veprz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM   #46
AllTen

Some of the prices I've seen..............

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796170434

Another one...............

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/790351641

Just for comparison (buy now price $759.00),,,,,,,,,,,...............

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796634632

I believe the two Vepr 12's on Gunbroker are at rockbottom prices, so my suggestion would be to get the established and original Vepr 12 where you know what's right and what's wrong w/it; which is that it's a tank, and yeah, straight out of the box, it can be "rough around the edges", but w/issues you can deal w/and fix.

At the gunbroker prices, you get the gun, "you no like"......................you sell and get your money back.

The irony of all this is I bought my guns in a hurry in order to beat CA outlawing the purchase of these guns, and I ended up paying a grand each for my 2 guns. That is, was, and will always be too much for what the Vepr 12 is.

I don't care what anybody says, when you pay $1000.00 for a gun, you should get a polished and refined weapon that works great out of the box, and there are outfits that will provide you that, at that price.

That ain't the Vepr, ok, fine, so at $769.00, these guns are at the right/correct price, where you can put on a decent stock, sand/polish the internals, swap out the trigger et al, and whatever else you want to do to make the gun work for you and still stay south of a grand.

Last edited by AllTen; Yesterday at 02:36 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM   #47
SRG
Heathen

AKaholic #: 155118

Never had a single issue with my V12. What issues are people having?
Old Yesterday, 10:02 PM   #48
AllTen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG View Post
Never had a single issue with my V12. What issues are people having?
Neither have I............and that's w/either gun. That was w/after cycling each gun by hand by at least 1000 times before actually firing either gun, and polishing the rails/bolt/bolt carrier to address the reported issue by others that their guns would only cycle the hotter ammo (right out of the box)...............notwithstanding the idea that this was what the gun was designed to do.

That is based on taking the word of experts who know the gun better than I do, and I accepted that based on that my two guns out of the box were in fact different.

Some guns never have a problem w/different types of ammo from right out of the box despite having nothing done to them, evidently some do. I had the feeling that if I hadn't hand cycled/polished the internals of both guns, that my 1st Vepr 12 would cycle most ammo and my 2nd one wouldn't.

Getting 2 guns actually benefitted me in terms of being able to see firsthand just how the gun could be different, so I worked one more to get it's "smoothness" in the same ballpark as the other gun. Vepr 1 was very smooth out of the box where you could cycle the gun by hand easily BEFORE I did any hand cycling or polishing. Vepr 2 wasn't, and its bolt dragged when you hand cycled it in comparison the the other gun.

I worked both guns anyway, w/more attention to hand cycling/polishing my "draggy"/sluggish Vepr 2 until it was just about as smooth as Vepr 1.

After spending so much time polishing/hand cycling both guns, I can tell you that besides the bolt action dragging in my Vepr 2 in comparison to the other gun, that I could feel through my hands from cycling both guns that the spring was different in Vepr 2.

I got to know both guns "through my hands", and if you blindfolded me, and handed me either one of my guns, I could rack the gun, and tell you which one I was holding. They're close, but still different.

That "drooping" stock that comes w/the gun is lousy, and I've seen videos of folks who left the stock on, where it would wobble; selling a gun w/a stock that is off axis to the line of the barrel is an insult to good money. It's essentially the idea of telling you "kiss my ass", because then you end up spending the money for a better stock, which they could've put on the gun from the getgo.

The Vepr 12 is a good gun for $769.00 if you KNOW going in that if you're unsatisfied w/the stock that it's that price PLUS the stock. Luck will decide whether you get a gun that shoots everything right out of the box, or a gun that coughs on the hottest ammo. If that happens, you can sand/polish/change out springs, and still come out w/a good gun after spending some more money/time to get the gun where you want it.

Last edited by AllTen; Today at 03:17 AM.