Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Survival and Preparedness

Notices

Old 01-27-2017, 07:43 PM   #141
AMD_67
Contributor

AKaholic #: 173207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
Determined to get my ass in shape this year. I've started up with a local dude who is friggin' huge and obviously knows what he's doing. He's a personal trainer and nutritionist and makes custom made meals. $100 a week get's you all your meals prepared for you. I get 3 meals and 2 snacks a day for 6 days. All of it is real food, high quality proteins and fresh fruits and veg, nothing canned or processed. All I have to do is eat what's prepared. He is in constant contact for adjustments....if weight isn't coming off, dealing with hunger, etc...... I'm going to do this for a year. At that point I'm sure I'll be used to it enough to make my own meals and portions, but for now it's excellent training because all the guess work is out of it for me. I'm also going to start some light exercise and slowly ramp that up. Very determined.
That's a pretty reasonable meal plan. I would hope grilled food is allowable however I do like to cook with olive oil. Good luck! Sounds promising.
AMD_67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 01:24 PM   #142
oakhandledsks
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 7249

Fess up guys, I put on 10 lbs over the holiday season. What did everybody else pack on?

Plan: Cuts carbs, take L-Glutamine and Acetyl L-Carnitine to reduces cravings, get back in the gym, get back on the mountain bike as soon as the weather gets a bit better.
oakhandledsks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 02:34 PM   #143
Dave Williams
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163660

I've been steadily loosing since I stopped drinking and started eating right. I'm down 25 lbs since Dec. 5th.
Dave Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 05:14 AM   #144
Solid Snake 7.62
Anti-social
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 183324

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakhandledsks View Post
Fess up guys, I put on 10 lbs over the holiday season. What did everybody else pack on?

Plan: Cuts carbs, take L-Glutamine and Acetyl L-Carnitine to reduces cravings, get back in the gym, get back on the mountain bike as soon as the weather gets a bit better.
I put on 9 pounds. Got back on my game Jan. 2. As of last week, down 8 pounds. But I've been hitting the weights a little harder.

"Let's do this!" - Leeroy Jenkins
Solid Snake 7.62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:35 PM   #145
bearpaws1973

AKaholic #: 165942

From December 25th to today I'm down 25.2 lbs.

I have ben doing a Keto diet. With a carb re-feed ever 2 weeks. I want to lose 20-25 more and have abs again! LOL

Lucky7
bearpaws1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:07 PM   #146
Dave Williams
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163660

30 lbs down today since Dec. 5th. No alcohol, caloric deficit and clean eating.
Dave Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:27 PM   #147
oakhandledsks
Veteran Member

^ Kick ass you guys, keep it up! I generally stay pretty fit, but I do pack on some winter / holiday weight. I am by no means one of those people who just stay fit naturally, Its a constant battle.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:38 PM   #148
Fortis
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 16269

I recently came across a site called 'Athleanx'. The guy is a physical therapist & sports trainer & has several vids on youtube. You can by his different programs on his website as well. From what I've seen & tried his exercises are better thought out than most, including p90x, which imo has a few downfalls including insufficient recovery time & injury-inducing techniques. He also has a plan which uses only your own body weight only, so you don't have to buy a bunch of equipment (great for apts, etc). I've been on a quest to heal from an old back injury that has recently resurfaced, mainly with muscle balance therapy & core-strength training. So far I've mostly eliminated my sciatica but low back pain still flares up fairly often. It appears to be an S/I joint issue.

Whatever you do, make sure to be cautious of injuries or following programs where the training is suspect (ie p90x, etc). Basically, my injury resulted from lats & arms strong enough to put my weaker core(low back) in danger of being injured. There is much more to a strong core than working back & abs. Core strength is key to overall fitness imo.

https://athleanx.com/video-gallery
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests” - Patrick Henry
WTB-`82 Delorean & Flux Capacitor.
It's MY Island! Mine!
Fortis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:53 PM   #149
45bravo3

AKaholic #: 190782

Hi everyone. Glad I found this post. I used to be a pretty fit dude. I think when I was in my best shape I was about 165-170lbs. Over the course of the last 3 years, I'm now at 200 lbs probably a little over. Im only 5'6".

Ive recently bought a manual treadmill (which blows BTW! if you can spare it, buy a powered one). Im starting off slow, doing a power walk for 30minutes. That was very tough at first but its a little better now. I'm also going to start walking with my body armor on and doing ruck marches again. well....I plan too. Maintaining motivation is the hard part for me. I hate working out with a passion. It's so boring for me, but I know it must be done.

Also, I've stopped buying junk food at replaced all my snack foods with veggies like carrots, celery, cucumber, apples, kiwi, etc. I figured if I can't eat healthy buy choice, force it. If bad food isn't available, I won't pick it as a snack. Also, a fist-full of baby carrots only has about 25 calories, so thats cool.

Anywho, I'm glad to know I'm not the only one (sorry for the cliche) in this situation. Hopefully I will be able to maintain motivation to restore myself to (or close to) my former glory! LOL
45bravo3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 05:25 PM   #150
jmano

AKaholic #: 164016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortis View Post
Whatever you do, make sure to be cautious of injuries or following programs where the training is suspect (ie p90x, etc). Basically, my injury resulted from lats & arms strong enough to put my weaker core(low back) in danger of being injured. There is much more to a strong core than working back & abs. Core strength is key to overall fitness imo.
Yeah it's funny over the last three years I have only seen 3 other people in the gym doing deadlifts...all were my workout partners.

If you could only do one exercise, it would be the deadlift.
jmano is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 06:27 PM   #151
Solid Snake 7.62
Anti-social
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Very true. I think the lower back is the most underrated, underappreciated, and under worked muscle group by most. Who cares how big your pecs are if you throw your back out trying to pick up a moderately heavy object? I do a long, slow set of supermans at the end of every weight training day. Its also why I really like my Total Gym (shut up haters). It forces you to use your core to stabilize your torso in many exercises that normally don't require this stabilization. Chest press, flyes, etc. But I think I've outgrown mine, currently looking for a deal on a better model.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:59 AM   #152
Fortis
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake 7.62 View Post
Very true. I think the lower back is the most underrated, underappreciated, and under worked muscle group by most. Who cares how big your pecs are if you throw your back out trying to pick up a moderately heavy object? I do a long, slow set of supermans at the end of every weight training day. Its also why I really like my Total Gym (shut up haters). It forces you to use your core to stabilize your torso in many exercises that normally don't require this stabilization. Chest press, flyes, etc. But I think I've outgrown mine, currently looking for a deal on a better model.

Nothing wrong with a Total gym, or a Bowflex for that matter (that's what I used for years until I got tired of hauling it around while moving...PITA). Actually though I don't miss it much as I've found other forms of strength training work as well or better. There's a whole nother train of thought out there that shows what you can do by looking outside the box. Hopefully I'll be able to get my back stable enough to try the Athleanx program soon. For now I've tried several of his exercises & really like the old-school simplicity of a lot of them. He also explains the bio-mechanics of what's going on with different muscle groups as pertains with both general training & rehab for injuries. That is lacking in most exercise programs that I've seen.
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests” - Patrick Henry
It's MY Island! Mine!
Old 02-10-2017, 05:03 AM   #153
Fortis
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmano View Post
Yeah it's funny over the last three years I have only seen 3 other people in the gym doing deadlifts...all were my workout partners.

If you could only do one exercise, it would be the deadlift.

Yeah, the deadlift engages so many muscles in one lift. If I start doing them again it will be at a lower weight & really watching my technique. Haven't done them in a while.
It's MY Island! Mine!
Old 02-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #154
oakhandledsks
Veteran Member

^ I don't do dead lifts but I do a hang to clean press with a jump. Works similar muscle groups but is more for cutting. Lots of reps lower weight. I am an avid mountain biker, so bigger muscles just means more weight I have to pedal up the hill.

Last edited by oakhandledsks; 02-10-2017 at 04:32 PM.
Old 02-10-2017, 04:49 PM   #155
Solid Snake 7.62
Anti-social
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Yeah, the deadlift engages so many muscles in one lift. If I start doing them again it will be at a lower weight & really watching my technique. Haven't done them in a while.
Kettlebell swings are also nice. Just make sure you get the technique down.

Old 02-12-2017, 08:54 AM   #156
MagicMike
Cream of the CROP

AKaholic #: 172292

I've been primarily cooking paleo meals for the last 2 1/2 years. When I cheat, it's because I catch myself away from home and get hungry and do something dumb. But I have shopping and meal prep days every week and generally run 2 crock pot meals, an oven meal and something on the stove top in one shot.

Also, the biggest part of fighting junk food is to do it at the grocery store. It's easier to fight for 5 seconds when you walk by versus to "just buy one pack" and have it in your house to the fight the craving when the snacking mood hits. And follow the outside rule. All the junk is on the inside sailed. Stay on the outside and get your meat, fruits and vegetables and other good stuff.

Here's 2 very easy meals i made the other day

Chicken meatballs with spicy pineapple be sauce
https://paleoleap.com/chicken-meatba...neapple-sauce/

Slow cooker chicken chili
http://blog.paleohacks.com/slow-cooker-chicken-chili/

Last edited by MagicMike; 02-12-2017 at 09:01 AM.
MagicMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:27 AM   #157
IrishCannon
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174643

Built a 70lb sandbag trainer last week. Been having fun with it in my workout rotation.
IrishCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:38 PM   #158
oakhandledsks
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMike View Post
I've been primarily cooking paleo meals for the last 2 1/2 years. When I cheat, it's because I catch myself away from home and get hungry and do something dumb.
L-Glutamine, Acetyl L-Carnitine, and a couple of spirulina tablets will kill your carb cravings. They can all be bought on amazon for sub $30, I don't take them regularly but I keep them in the cupboard as an emergency toolkit when the carb cravings kick in hard, or if I get off track and need to get back on.
Old 02-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #159
IrishCannon
Curio & Relic

Quote:
L-Glutamine, Acetyl L-Carnitine, and a couple of spirulina tablets will kill your carb cravings. They can all be bought on amazon for sub $30, I don't take them regularly but I keep them in the cupboard as an emergency toolkit when the carb cravings kick in hard, or if I get off track and need to get back on.
I used to buy some powdered spirulina but it wasn't cheap. I think I burned through a tub of the stuff every week. It was like $18 or so.

edit: Amazing Grass was the brand. I'm still on the fence of if that's better than just eating a lot of kale in meals. IDK. Sure a heck of a lot easier.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:48 PM   #160
Hallow
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 169535

Johnny 5.56 this is a long over due thread. I really like the idea and I think alot of us here need a boost to get our fitness level up. Are there any other legit fitness prep groups you know of that we could get involved with?
Hallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:51 PM   #161
IrishCannon
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallow View Post
Johnny 5.56 this is a long over due thread. I really like the idea and I think alot of us here need a boost to get our fitness level up. Are there any other legit fitness prep groups you know of that we could get involved with?
Idk about "fitness prep groups" - but if knowledge is what ye seek, EliteFTS has some great articles, and Rogue's website has a bunch of pics of people's garage gym setups if you need ideas.

I'm still buying equipment when I can. The key is to have a variety of training possibility to avoid burnout. Wheb you don't have the space/cash for tons of stuff you gotta be creative.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:03 PM   #162
Solid Snake 7.62
Anti-social
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCannon View Post
I'm still buying equipment when I can. The key is to have a variety of training possibility to avoid burnout. Wheb you don't have the space/cash for tons of stuff you gotta be creative.
I'm sure this is common sense to most, but I wish somebody would have reminded me of this about a year ago: if you're going to buy weight plates or dumbbells, DO NOT buy them brand new. If you go on craigslist or a used sporting goods store like Play It Again Sports, you can get weights for half the price of new weights or better. Again, most are already aware of this. But for the one guy who is not, this will save a lot of money.

Old 02-12-2017, 09:45 PM   #163
Bigdaddy90
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 182292

Quote:
I almost pulled up 375. I was so close. 2 more weeks and I'll pull it.

((10)) troll brigade heart breaker/scout SJW sniper
Bigdaddy90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:02 PM   #164
drjarhead
MODERATOR and Mad Doctor

AKaholic #: 5952

Core Synergistics is the core workout in P90X and IMO awesome for back prevention and issues.

I've incorporated parts of it into my core workout.

There are a lot of different kinds of pushups in it though and I skip through those.
I lift hard most days of the week and the day I do core I'm looking to give my shoulders a break.

I have a thread here somewhere on the workouts I do. My core workout is a conglomeration of my own stuff, AbripperX and Core Synergistics. Took the things I thought were best and put 'em together.

Some days I just do sit ups, Oblique sit ups and superman. Just depends on the day and what all else I've done.

Core strength is vitally important though and most people overlook it. It is easy to do that.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:58 PM   #165
drjarhead
MODERATOR and Mad Doctor

These are my regular routines though I've changed over to a different weight routine.
I do a 5 day rotation.

-Legs
-chest
-back
-shoulders
-arms

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...workout+thread
Old 02-13-2017, 12:18 AM   #166
drjarhead
MODERATOR and Mad Doctor

Here's my lifting routine (5 day body part rotation):

Day 1: Chest

Bench press 5 sets
Alternating dumbbell punch press 3 sets
Flys 3 sets
Incline dumbbell presses 2 sets
Chest dips 2 sets
Push ups, varied 4 sets

--push ups were humble by the time I got through all that.

Day 2: Back

Pull ups 5 sets
Bent over barbell row 2 sets
Pullovers 3 sets
Heavy pants 2 sets
Superman 4 sets
Back flys 3 sets
One arm rows 2 sets
lawn mowers 2 sets

Day 3: Arms

Tricep extensions with tri bar 2 sets
Barbell or EZ bar curls
Preacher curls
Tricep extensions with barbell
Concentration curls
Alternating supination curls
Dips 2 sets
In and out bicep curls
Behind the head tricep extensions with dumbbell
Standard curls
Throw the bomb
Static arm curls
Bent over hammer extensions
Hammer curls 2 sets
Bent over rotation extensions
Brach curls

Day 4: Shoulders

Military press 3 sets
Upright rowing 3 sets
Rotational dumbbell shoulder press 2 sets
4 angle shoulder flys 2 sets
Lateral dumbbell shoulder press 2 sets
front and lateral arm raises 3 sets
Shrugs 2 sets
Neck exercises 4 sets

Day 5: Legs
Seated calf raises 3 sets
Standing body weight calf raises 3 sets
Dead lift 5 sets
Lunges 4 sets
Hamstring curl 4 sets
Stiff legged dead lift 3 sets
Old 02-13-2017, 12:40 AM   #167
Fortis
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjarhead View Post
Core Synergistics is the core workout in P90X and IMO awesome for back prevention and issues.

I've incorporated parts of it into my core workout.

There are a lot of different kinds of pushups in it though and I skip through those.
I lift hard most days of the week and the day I do core I'm looking to give my shoulders a break.

I have a thread here somewhere on the workouts I do. My core workout is a conglomeration of my own stuff, AbripperX and Core Synergistics. Took the things I thought were best and put 'em together.

Some days I just do sit ups, Oblique sit ups and superman. Just depends on the day and what all else I've done.

Core strength is vitally important though and most people overlook it. It is easy to do that.

There are things about p90x that I like, & some that I don't. The 'Lawnmower' is one of them, I think it's a bad technique. I had done dumbell rows for years but had always used a flat bench instead of the opposite knee for support (as they do it). It provides more stabilty imo. For whatever reason I went with their technique & over-extended...boom, been dealing with that day ever since. I don't do ANY exercise now that puts a one-sided torque(twist) on my back under heavy load, only equal force using both hands. Some other trainers I've looked into agree that this puts the lower back in danger of injury & should be avoided. This doesn't include doing core exercises that use bands, etc which are good for stabilizing muscles.
Also, I've realized that using heavier weights isn't really neccessary (for me). I've already got good size/strength & have for years, but ignored a more scientific approach that develops muscles in a more balanced way. P90x does not address this. Muscle confusion sure, muscle balance? No. That is where I'm at now. I would rather be fit, strong & healthy, than 'big' & crippled.
It's MY Island! Mine!

Last edited by Fortis; 02-13-2017 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 10:53 AM   #168
bearpaws1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
30 lbs down today since Dec. 5th. No alcohol, caloric deficit and clean eating.
Great Job Dave!

Lucky7
Old 02-14-2017, 10:56 AM   #169
bearpaws1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishCannon View Post
Built a 70lb sandbag trainer last week. Been having fun with it in my workout rotation.
Do you have pics? Would love to see it. I have built my own mace bell, and just did a 135 lb atlas stone, I love home made equipment.

Thanks I will try posting some pics of my maces and other equip.

Lucky7
Old 02-16-2017, 12:50 PM   #170
oakhandledsks
Veteran Member

I hate it when a nasty cold stops you dead in your tracks when your on a good health / fitness kick. Just venting, this fucking sucks.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:12 PM   #171
Solid Snake 7.62
Anti-social
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I hate it when a nasty cold stops you dead in your tracks when your on a good health / fitness kick. Just venting, this fucking sucks.
Agreed. Two years ago I was making a go for my second attempt at my first half marathon. I trained hard for months, getting my long runs up to 12 miles. Five days before the race (in November) I caught a wicked chest cold. No lung capacity, burning throat, the works. It felt like all that work was for nothing. But in the end, you have to listen to your body. It is what it is. Get better and get back to work is all you can do.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:29 PM   #172
bounce19712
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 8142

this was my second day at pt after back surgery in July. holy shit. 10 mins on a stationary bike was euphoric / big buzz !

planking, squats, pushups, situps, hiking is on the game plan for now. Felt real good to get 30lbs on the back and treadmill today. I'm cleared to hike and shoot!
Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski. Condolences. The bums lost. My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski? The bums will always lose!

temp ban award winner: ka64
Posting a .gif of a Male Motor boating a woman's ass/vag from behind. No true nudity due to camera angle, still a sex act in the general forums...
bounce19712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:36 PM   #173
TexasDave
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 156092

Pulled a muscle in my neck tonight while at the gym. I'll live but be careful out there yall. That is my PSA for the night ;p

-Dave

ps - lift heavy (deadlift) and eat your proteins or else.
TexasDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:07 AM   #174
TheSundanceKid

AKaholic #: 189907

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasDave View Post
Pulled a muscle in my neck tonight while at the gym. I'll live but be careful out there yall. That is my PSA for the night ;p

-Dave

ps - lift heavy (deadlift) and eat your proteins or else.
I did that before on pull-ups, man did it hurt.. neck was stiff for a week had to turn around 180 in my car looking out the rear view lol

Anyways guys I'm 160 and trying to gain weight, all you guys trying to lose are lucky I'm a hard gainer and if I could get to 175 I'd be happy

I got to get my arms stronger so I can hold my ak on target with one arm while reloading. It's a bit wobbly right now lol
TheSundanceKid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:01 PM   #175
rediius

AKaholic #: 177569

Been out of the army for a few years now, and trying to get back into shape. Looking to buy an AK which is why I'm on here, but I've got lots of hobbies, which includes getting back into fighting shape.

Thanks for everyone else's inspiration.
rediius is offline   Reply With Quote