Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-74s

Notices

Old 02-13-2017, 02:29 PM   #1
BarnOwlLover

AKaholic #: 190949
Default AK-74/100 upgrade kit and AK-12 parts?

I'm trying to find out what the AK-74/100 rifle family upgrades are and how they're supposed to work.

I know that they have a new handgaurd with rails, a reinforced dust cover that's hinged to a new rear sight base (with the hinge mounts attached), and the current version seems to have a throw lever that holds the dust cover onto the rifle.

Also, it seems that there's a choice between the normal muzzle brake (standard) and bell mouth flash hider/expansion chamber (carbine), and a Arsenal type bird cage flash hider.

I'm wondering what other upgrades there are aside from the new buttstock that's retractable and folding?

Also does anyone know about the unique rear sight base/dust cover on the AK-12?

I'm also wondering if the AK-12's rear sight can fit on the AK-74 upgrade kit rifles?
BarnOwlLover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:39 PM   #2
BarnOwlLover

Video of the rifles in question:

Old 02-14-2017, 03:51 AM   #3
Wulfe74

AKaholic #: 191248

About the closest thing, is the ak with zenitco gear and camo on the for sales thread now or buy all the extra goodies and put them on. Theres a few companies that make railed dust covers (TWS) I think and add some Zenitco bling.
Real ak-12 stuff might be awhile and as far as I can tell by just pics, i imagine the ak12 dust cover is hard mounted in a different location.
Ill wait for a better confirm from another member on that.

Last edited by Wulfe74; 02-14-2017 at 04:17 AM.
Wulfe74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:04 PM   #4
chris22lr

AKaholic #: 191222

This is official KC graphic presenting "universal upgrade kit" for AK rifles (aka UUK). UUK consists of new telescopic stock, railed top cover, ergonomic pistol grip (with internal storage), magazine, handguards and muzzle device.

Stocks come in two variants, one for AKS-74/AK-74M side-foliding trunnion, and second for fixed stock trunnion (folding ability is built into the stock adapter). Old, upgraded service rifles are equipped with top cover which seems to be attached to the take down button in rear, while factory new rifles are seen with "SVD-style" top covers, secured by additional lever. The muzzle device also comes in two styles - military rifles were seen with multi-purpose, modular design (some speculate that it may have some silencing abilities), while KC display rifles show flash hider reminescent of SVD one.

Larry Vickers photos show AK-74 modified with folding stock adapter and "army" top cover and muzzle device (top cover is attached instead of rear sight leaf, even though KC graphic seems to indicate a modified rear sight block with hole drilled for hinge pin - I'm not sure which one is true since LV rifle is clearly a prototype). The video you've posted (there's no RPK-16 in there funnily enough) shows KC display rifle with "SVD-style" top cover (notice that rear sight block is completely different, more like the one in Vityaz or AKS-74U) and seemingly regular AK-74 flash hider. Photos from your other thread show new "SVD-style" flash hider.

Once again - instead of several threads discussing single aspects of UUK, we could have one.
chris22lr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:31 PM   #5
BarnOwlLover

The first thread was mostly about something I had never encountered before. I knew of the AK-100 carbines, but I didn't associate the photos with a modernized AK-104.

I also really wanted to discuss the AK-12, and the particulars known of it. It seems to be different enough from the upgraded AK-74M/AK-100 rifles to warrant discussion. However, it seems that things being used on it (and the AK-400 that inspired it) were in the end filtered down to the upgrade kits.

Also, I wonder about the performance benefits of the AK-12/RPK-16 over the standard AK-74M and RPK-74. And where the updated rifles fit in.
Old 02-14-2017, 06:03 PM   #6
BarnOwlLover

Also, I don't think that any one combination of parts has been standardized yet. The AK-12 influenced parts are probably where KC wants to go, but they also have converted hundreds if not possibly thousands of AK-74s with the original kit. Also, in the video, the AK-74 still has the leaf rear sight (like the modified AK-104 in the other thread), and uses a standard AK-74/100 muzzle brake.

I'm also wondering if the AK-12 would be optioned with a flash hider rather than the muzzle brake that it's been pictured with in all photos and videos I've seen.

I'm guessing that this is like the whole Ratnik kit, which is constantly evolving and not one optimal solution has been arrived at yet.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:20 PM   #7
BarnOwlLover

Sorry to bump this thread (though I hoped for more discussion here), but it seems that some of the stuff of the AK upgrade kit was done on the WZ/96D Beryl, which had a reinforced/hinged top cover with pic rail, a railed fore-end, and other similarities to the AK upgrade kit/AK-12:

Old 02-17-2017, 12:08 AM   #8
Wulfe74

Too bad its not a 7.62x39 like the author put on the vid tag.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #9
BarnOwlLover

I like the idea of the hinged top cover, though it's not a particularly easy part to lose because of how big it is. It'll also allow (as well as extra reinforcement) to mount optical sights or even iron sights on the dust cover and retain zero easier.

Still interested in how the rear sight base/dust cover interface and gas tube interface on the AK-12 works.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:02 PM   #10
Wulfe74

I think its similar to aksu dust cover attach.
watch this vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bi1rzG1CPLQ
Old 02-17-2017, 06:54 PM   #11
BarnOwlLover

I wonder if the Beryl detachable rail is better or the AK UGK railed dust cover is better. Especially with how it's hinged on the AK-74/AK-100 rifles and both those and the AK-12 use a SVD or AN-94 throw lever to hold the cover down on the rifles.

Never the less, what the Russian are doing is similar to what's been done on the commercial market and with some others (like an export version of the Beryl that FB Radom offers) for a few years now. But I wonder if we're doing it better, or the Russians?