Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > General Rifle Discussion

Notices

Old 01-22-2018, 07:09 PM   #1
TomJerome

AKaholic #: 183476
Default Cleaning Muzzle Crud

I took the flash hider off of my rifle and noticed significant and tenacious crud on the muzzle. So far I've saturated it with Kroil and let it soak for a couple hours. The most abrasive thing I've used is a nylon brush. Regardless, the crud is holding strong.

Any relatively quick way to remove it without harming the crown? Is a brass/bronze brush safe?
TomJerome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 07:13 PM   #2
NMGuy
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 182584

I've used a bronze brush without issue. Rifle still shoots 1/2-1 MOA..

If the buildup isn't causing issues of any kind then I say leave it.

On minor buildup I've used a small dental pick to lightly scrape some off. For stubborn buildup I wouldn't do that.

I don't know about soda blasting. Might hurt it or might not. Does fine on rimfire suppressor baffles.

There are literally a dozen ways you could attack it.
NMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:55 PM   #3
Shoot'n'Scoot

AKaholic #: 186270

I had a lot of build up on the barrel crown on my 107FR, and I went at it with a dental pic. There's a cheap set you can buy on Amazon for like $12. This set had the curved picks as well as the flat wedge picks. Anyway, the curved picks are machined so that the metal was in 3 or 4 planes. 3 or 4 edged sides if you will. I gently tapped these like you would a punch, and shaved off the top part. I'd say the top 3/4, so that the thin bottom portion was all that remained and the rest came off with a brush.

Side note, my Arsenal's barrel crown is ok but kinda fugly. My M92 that was $499 is freaking spotless, and I abuse that thing way harder. Arsenal needs to step their game up.
Shoot'n'Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:33 PM   #4
TomJerome

I soaked the flash hider in Kroil in a plastic bag for about 36 hours. The crudded part was completely immersed for that entire time. Even so, the crud did not want to budge. I scraped and scraped with a flat-head dental pick and only tiny specks would come off. As the specks got into the threads and interfered with putting the FH back on the rifle, I rinsed the FH under a faucet and dried it out with a hair dryer. Interestingly, that loosened up the crud and I was able to scrape it out after several cycles of rinse, heat and dry, and scrape. It was by no means easy, but it did come out with that technique. Quite a bit of vigorous scraping was involved.

That stuff is tenacious. The crown on my rifle is fine, but the surrounding muzzle is rough and wasn't machined smooth. It was like that new and has never affected accuracy. I'm not keen on using that same violent technique on the muzzle of the barrel for concern of nicking the crown. I just cleaned off what I could with a brush and patches and put it all back together.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:11 PM   #5
chknfkr
Low balling stupid BASTARD

AKaholic #: 172241

Carbon happens:

This is how I clean it off:

The MANY uses of an AK cleaning kit and rod

Кучка Булка Курва Зараза
chknfkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:40 PM   #6
ugroza

AKaholic #: 183657

I believe that this topic should begin with a proper illustration of what CROWN is actually is. Doing so will eliminate 1000 retarded opinions based on someones opinion. That being said:

Now we can proceed to discussing how should we remove build up around the crown, since crown typically stays clean and scratches around it have no effect on the accuracy.
ugroza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:43 PM   #7
SAIGA 5.45
Old Dirty Bastard of the Files

AKaholic #: 174648

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJerome View Post
I took the flash hider off of my rifle and noticed significant and tenacious crud on the muzzle. So far I've saturated it with Kroil and let it soak for a couple hours. The most abrasive thing I've used is a nylon brush. Regardless, the crud is holding strong.

Any relatively quick way to remove it without harming the crown? Is a brass/bronze brush safe?
I scrape mine with a brass case, usually 223.

I should be back in Jacksonville, putting my spicy man meat into a mother/daughter sandwich, that's what I want- Ashley J. Williams

This is the files, leave your purse at the fucking door.
SAIGA 5.45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:09 PM   #8
frankinnola
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 174065

soak with Mpro7, then use a brass case or the short end of the cleaning kit
frankinnola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:49 PM   #9
TomJerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugroza View Post
I believe that this topic should begin with a proper illustration of what CROWN is actually is. Doing so will eliminate 1000 retarded opinions based on someones opinion. That being said:

Now we can proceed to discussing how should we remove build up around the crown, since crown typically stays clean and scratches around it have no effect on the accuracy.
Thanks, the illustration is good, but I'm aware of where the crown is. That's why I called it "muzzle" crud. After next shooting I may just go at it with the brass brush, and then use the spent brass case trick if needed.

Or, since having an easily removable muzzle device is not universal and plenty of rifles shoot just fine for 1000's of rounds with the MD in place, I may just ignore my particularity in this instance and leave it alone.

Thanks for everyone's insights.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:52 PM   #10
smithy72
Contributor

AKaholic #: 187266

Quote:

By some BoreTech Carbon Remover -the best carbon remover on the market and kills corrosive primer residue too. Use as directed the carbon will wipe of with a toothbrush and a rag. Don't use abrasives near the crown!
smithy72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 10:12 PM   #11
TomJerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy72 View Post
By some BoreTech Carbon Remover -the best carbon remover on the market and kills corrosive primer residue too. Use as directed the carbon will wipe of with a toothbrush and a rag. Don't use abrasives near the crown!
Thanks, I'll try that. I bought Kroil as it was reported to do what you say BoreTech will, and while it's a fantastic cleaner overall, it didn't do any magic.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:16 PM   #12
Just a Citizen
Not the Sharpest Crayon in the box.

AKaholic #: 173954

It's baked on, no solvent will touch it, it has to be physically scraped away, I use a empty case.
"The right of a citizen to bear arms, in lawful defense of himself or the State, is absolute. He does not derive it from the State government. It is one of the "high powers" delegated directly to the citizen, and `is excepted out of the general powers of government.' A law cannot be passed to infringe upon or impair it, because it is above the law, and independent of the lawmaking power." [Cockrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394, at 401-402 (1859)
Just a Citizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:19 PM   #13
def90
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 154917

Soak in carbon remover, scrape, repeat.. Once I get it clean I smear on some anti seize, seems to make it easier to clean next time if you clean after each outing.
def90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 05:02 PM   #14
ninjamateo
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170268

http://www.kgcoatings.com/products/f...carbon-remover
This stuff works wonders.
ninjamateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:27 PM   #15
TomJerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamateo View Post
Will that let the crud be simply wiped off after a soak? So far I've read that ATF, Kroil, Hoppes 9, etc would allow baked-on crud to just melt off if soaked long enough, but from using all of those I've realized that no matter whsy it will take serious scraping or brushing to remove it. So call me skeptical.

The Kroil, which I just bought, was supposed to remove the crud with just a soak and a Q-tip. Not the case. It is good stuff as it did wonders for the carbon on the gas piston, but it still required a brass brush. ATF is also excellent for removing carbon, although also requires a brass brush scrubbing.

This has become academic as from what I've learned so far, the carbon build up is normal and doesn't necessarily need to be removed. As much crud as there is on my muzzle, it doesn't seem to affect anything. It looks ugly on inspection, but I turned off the lights and shined a bright light from the breach and the edges of the crown were crisps and clean with no interference from the crud.

Even so, if someone knows of some product that actually will make the crud melt off, I'd appreciate the tip. It would also come in handy for revolver cylinder faces.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:11 AM   #16
panzertruppe
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3934

Acetone,

Maybe? Sure gets the carbon out of my suppressors...

panzertruppe
panzertruppe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:49 AM   #17
def90
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 154917

I use the Browning version of the KG stuff.. on a regular firearm just cleaning fouling it works great, on the muzzle of an AK74 it just slightly softens things up.
def90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 11:39 PM   #18
smithy72
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just a Citizen View Post
It's baked on, no solvent will touch it, it has to be physically scraped away, I use a empty case.
Nope ,try the BoreTech Carbon Remover and their Eliminator as well.
No need for scraping. To easy to damage that crown!
Old 01-25-2018, 11:42 PM   #19
smithy72
Contributor

Quote:
Thanks, I'll try that. I bought Kroil as it was reported to do what you say BoreTech will, and while it's a fantastic cleaner overall, it didn't do any magic.
No BS, it works been using it daily as a Gunsmith since July,2007 .Really the only Carbon remover that works as advertised. Kroil isn't worth a damn for anything, complete waste of money. The BoreTech Eliminator will remove carbon as well as lead, cooper ,etc.
Old 01-26-2018, 01:31 AM   #20
TomJerome

Quote:
No BS, it works been using it daily as a Gunsmith since July,2007 .Really the only Carbon remover that works as advertised. Kroil isn't worth a damn for anything, complete waste of money. The BoreTech Eliminator will remove carbon as well as lead, cooper ,etc.
So get the Eliminator as a use-all? Will it remove carbon as well as their C4?
Old 03-05-2018, 03:16 PM   #21
TomJerome

Quote:
Nope ,try the BoreTech Carbon Remover and their Eliminator as well.
No need for scraping. To easy to damage that crown!
Thanks for recommending the Boretech C4. It's amazing stuff. I tried it first on the piston head. After soaking for only five minutes, the surface wiped clean with a rag. I used to have to soak it for about an hour (Hoppe's No. 9, brake cleaner, Gunscrubber, etc) then attack it with a brass brush for a few minutes.

Next I tried it on the muzzle crud -- about 3,000 rounds' worth. After about a half hour soak, nothing changed. I tried it for another hour, still nothing. I then soaked the muzzle, rifle inverted, in a bottle cap full of the C4 and left it overnight. The next day about 75% of the raised crud had just melted away. I tried removing the rest with a toothbrush, but no success, so I decided to let the chemical and time work together and it soak again overnight. The next day, about 98% of the muzzle crud had dissolved. There was no raised crud left, but instead black coloring around the middle of the ring. I gently worked that away with a bronze brush and now the muzzle is clean and crown intact.

I know that Boretech has a separate copper cleaner, but the patches and rags I used with the C4 became bright blue, so it must also work well for copper.

Thanks again!
Old 03-08-2018, 01:11 AM   #22
recon-1
Are We There Yet
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 655

Going to get some of this and try it.
https://www.boretech.com/products/c4-carbon-remover

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."
"John Adams"
recon-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 02:53 AM   #23
TomJerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by recon-1 View Post
Going to get some of this and try it.
https://www.boretech.com/products/c4-carbon-remover
That's the stuff. I had some heavy muzzle crud from my last outing, although not as tenacious as before. I soaked a patch with the C4 and set it on the muzzle while I cleaned the rest of the rifle. The crud didn't dissolve on it's own, but it soaked for only about an hour and ame off very easily by scrubbing it lightly with a nylon brush.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:20 AM   #24
recon-1
Are We There Yet
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 655

Going to try this stuff also.
https://www.amazon.com/Slip-2000-Car.../dp/B0064VN61Y

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet that did not commit suicide."
"John Adams"
recon-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #25
akenthusiast1

AKaholic #: 183368

On my vepr it was hardened like a rock, didn't want to use any kind of force in fear of potential damage to the crown, just soaked it in hopps#9 overnight in a soda cap with the rifle leaning against the wall. Came right off.
akenthusiast1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 12:17 PM   #26
sqeezeatrigger56

AKaholic #: 171061
Default Muzzle Crud

My muzzle and brake were horribly carboned up--got a jug of Piston Clean,looks like water, soaked about an hour and it too ALL the crud off! No scrubbing needed. Google Piston Clean--I got it off internet.
sqeezeatrigger56 is online now   Reply With Quote