Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > General Rifle Discussion

Notices

Old 03-23-2018, 11:39 AM   #36
bushman
BENEVOLENTI MODERATORIS

AKaholic #: 3819

Too much pampering just makes one crazy and removes the enjoyment of use.

I take care of my guns, try to set them down gently or on something soft, but if the steel floor of a truck bed is what's available I brush it off and use it with no reservations. "Earned" wear on a firearm or tool just adds to the love I have for it.

However, I say get something cheap to play with as well. My absolute favorite shotgun is an old J.C. Higgins Model 20 I got for free with a broken stock. I am into that gun for the cost of Acraglas, a wood dowel, Half a can of OD Green Duracoat, a hacksaw blade and a Mossberg extended magazine tube.

The gun runs awesome, has no value, is quality made and I use it hard. If I need to tie my boot, I set it on the dirt or gravel next to me, but I don't throw it around. I don't care if it gets scratched up or if the stock gets dinged or if the buttplate tip wears off.

It makes me feel "even" after meticulously babying my Grandfather's old Ross for a morning, to grab the Model 20 and run around blasting shit for the afternoon. It's also what sits at the ready at home.

Geez. -TYFOON-
bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:48 AM   #37
chknfkr
Low balling stupid BASTARD

AKaholic #: 172241

There's a middle ground.

My firearms are tools, they get treated as such.

When I'm using them, they may get beat up a little here and there. When I'm finished, they get wiped down and put back in their proper place.

When I first got into guns I did tend to baby them. That changed when I started carrying one every day.

The MANY uses of an AK cleaning kit and rod

Кучка Булка Курва Зараза
chknfkr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 12:06 PM   #38
DeAtHsTaR_0069
Wannabe #69

AKaholic #: 178898

i've been playing with and owned guns since i was 10yrs old. there are a few i treat like glass, there's a few i treat like dirt.. lol. overtime, i've learned to seperate range toys from daily beaters. daily beaters have "roll cage.. lol" accessories to soak wear and tear.

my beater guns have fallen outta trucks/sidexside/4wheelers (while moving) and treated as tools.

Last edited by DeAtHsTaR_0069; 03-23-2018 at 12:12 PM.
DeAtHsTaR_0069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 04:22 PM   #39
angryWaiter

AKaholic #: 193169

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife wounds View Post
Look for that middle ground. Dont go out of your way to abuse it. Instead use it to your hearts content, transport it, clean it, but be proud of the wear your putting on it.

Summed up nicely. This me as well.
angryWaiter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 10:16 AM   #40
AK-104
Stroke My Member

AKaholic #: 162667

I baby the old Winchesters and such that I inherited from my dad when he passed away. He never did, but I do. His old guns have honest wear and tear on them from being lugged around in his old pickup truck, being knocked against tree branches on his frequent trips into the woods to hunt, and from being leaned against one another in the corner of a closet when not in use. I treat them like museum pieces as they hold a lot of sentimental value to me being the ones I learned to shoot on, and because they were my dads.

My firearms are mostly tools to me. My one and only AK is an Arsenal SBR that has been used quite a bit, and I haven't babied it. It hasn't been abused, nor used for anything beyond range shooting, but it shows some honest wear.

My pistols show plenty of holster wear because I don't own one that I don't carry, and I carry a pistol on my person all day/everyday. Because of my occupation, my pistol gets pulled from the holster frequently to clear buildings, conduct felony stops, and to be locked away when entering the local jail facility to drop off arrests. You can take one look at my pistols and tell that they are working guns. Well maintained, but used a lot.

My favorite long gun for day to day use is a mixmaster AR15 that is basically an M4 configuration with a heavy barrel. It has standard furniture, and I run it with irons only. It goes to work with me every day, and gets banged around going in and out of a patrol car, and into/out of my personal vehicle. When at home, it lives beside my bed, when I travel... It rides with me. It goes to the range with me everytime I shoot, and shows lots of character marks.

Perhaps one day, my son will treat mine like museum pieces. Until then, I run em hard.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:32 AM   #41
Renov8
Pax Americana-Invicta

AKaholic #: 122038

Quote:
Originally Posted by insider View Post
Sounds like you have a case of OCD!
Perhaps you should come out of the safe....queen?

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable"
JFK

"As a society, we rediscover that the value of a right is not in what it hides, but in what it protects."
Renov8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:31 AM   #42
Z00mie
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 166332

I treat mine as what they are, expensive tools. I don't abuse nor do I tolerate abuse of my tools. Ratchets aren't breaker bars, screwdrivers aren't punches, you get the picture. I bought them for a purpose and I use them for that purpose. They get cleaned/oiled and stored properly. If I don't have time to clean, then I don't have time to shoot, its part of the process...
Z00mie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:03 PM   #43
hodgescl

AKaholic #: 179794

you're just maintaining your gear. save the rough handling for when you need to.
hodgescl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:30 PM   #44
Sojourner
Warrior Scholar

AKaholic #: 124788

I have guns that I collect and shoot little. I have guns that I run hard and shoot a lot. I love them all.
Sojourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:41 PM   #45
captainstormy

AKaholic #: 195913

I don't treat anything especially good or especially bad guns or otherwise.

I just use it how I need to and I don't sweat it too much if I accidentally drop or scratch it something like that.

I never understood babying something and being afraid to use it or show any wear unless it's an extremely old and valuable collectors piece.

I also never understood paying good money for something just to mistreat it. I've seen people take steel wool to a rifles finish to give it that "battlefield" look. Seems a silly thing to do to a new rifle.
captainstormy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:24 PM   #46
triplestack3

AKaholic #: 196067

I remember the first time I took my WASR out to the desert. I shook it above my head, yelled yalalalalala!, and then threw it on the ground. Rifle is fine.
triplestack3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:58 PM   #47
Broken Man

AKaholic #: 175667

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottman43055 View Post
And, it sucks !

I've had many different makes, models and types over the years in long guns & hand guns.

I really like the "tough & rugged" guns that can take a fair amount of abuse & do not need constant TLC. I've watched many torture test videos etc.

Probably why I like AK's & also carry a Glock daily.

I love the idea of a beater gun. Something I can toss in my work vehicle and whenever the occasion allows pop off a few rounds.

Thing is though, I can't ever be "rough" on my guns. Even my Ak's.

Recently I bought a S&W M&P 15 sport 2. I have seen some amazing videos of not only accurate shooting but an awesome melt down video & also some young guys packing it with dirt and it still running. (That actually surprised me).

Yet, I can't even lay the damn thing down without being so careful as to not bump the front sight as if it would break off or something.

I know it's silly but treating these guns like they are so fragile takes some of the fun out of them and I really want to get past this.

I hope I don't get ridiculed over putting this out there, it's actually annoying.

Mabe I should buy a High Point and through it in the mud LMAO.

I think your the type of guy I would not mind buying used guns from.
Broken Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:40 PM   #48
MudEagle

AKaholic #: 195679

Cruise armslist or backpage and buy some used stuff for fun. I mean used stuff that is already cosmetically beat up, then you won't have any hangups about actually using it.

My carry piece is a LEO trade-in G22 that had substantial holster wear on both the slide and the polymer when I acquired it. It has been through several classes and gets lots of presentation practice in and out of the holster...and I like the way it looks ugly. A new scratch is just more character.

My shooter AK is a Norinco that bubba drilled-and-tapped for a scope mount back when Norincos were "commie junk" and only worth $200. With the holes in the side, it will never have any collector value, so I can shoot the piss out of it and enjoy the "mil-spec" build quality while not worrying too much about it.
MudEagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:56 PM   #49
Barth
Likes Suchkas

AKaholic #: 168359

I take care of my guns.
And they take care of me.
At least until that horrific boating accident and fire that destroyed everything I own.
Barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:10 PM   #50
Romy_G

AKaholic #: 195355

I treat my guns the same way I treat my ratchets, sockets, wrenches, and any other tool. I won't baby them and if they get scratched and dinged from honest use I'm fine with that.
Romy_G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:24 PM   #51
Thunderhorse
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 172770

You can use stuff without abusing it. I take care handling my guns; they cost a lot of money, why would I not? That doesn't mean they won't get an occasional scratch though, and my carry gun has a fair amount of holster wear.

I use my pickup for towing, hauling paving material, and even drive it off road. That doesn't mean I don't wash and wax it too. Just like with guns, the paint is a finish that keeps corrosion away so it only makes sense to take care of.

I don't understand people who are careless with stuff like that
In reality, most people don't even like freedom. Freedom is hard work. It is hard work to take responsibility for your own goddamn life. Freedom=Responsibility and responsibility is fucking hard for most people
Thunderhorse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:32 AM   #52
Laufer

AKaholic #: 188070

There is another reason to try to preserve the exterior looks, without being obsessive:

1) One day you will want to sell/trade it.

2) You could acquire a permanent, serious illness and be unable to enjoy much shooting, or die at a fairly young age.
A 43 year-old buddy was recently diagnosed with Lyme disease, has about two decent days per week. He probably can't go back to work and has only been in his 'dream job' for three years (not much long-term medical after three years).
His 'tax stamp paperwork' for his MP5 and AK might finally have arrived. Ironic.

3) The widow or relative who inherits your guns could later become desperate for emergency cash (no matter what they promise us now...) and ragged looks will only cost Them money.

It Is Not "All About Us".

Last edited by Laufer; 04-09-2018 at 12:40 AM.
Laufer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:07 AM   #53
Rob Ski
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 173263

I honestly don't care for "outside" looks - dents and scratches will happen, especially if you take your guns outside. Now, what i'm obsessed with is, my firearm must be 100% operational and ready to use. May look like beater, but barrel is top notch, gun is cycling and glass is spot on...below is funny example, top rifle, chassis looks like shit, but that rifle holds 1/2moa. Rifle below, looks neat but i shoot out barrel on it...looks could be very deceiving...;-)

Old 04-11-2018, 01:16 AM   #54
Laufer

All of them, at least to a moderate extent or more- M59 SKS, five imported "AKs" and these newly-acquired handguns: Sig P225 ('98 German proof, Kiel), and the collector, the '94 Sig P228, also proofed in Kiel Germany. Plus the .40 Sig 229, used CZ PO1 and 'like new' CZ D Compact 'PCR'.

This pristine P228 is kept in the plastic bag in the case which was used for shipping from the very nice gent in northern IL (he told me it was avail. via our Gunboards pm's--pure luck...).
Thanks again Pete!
Old 04-11-2018, 05:39 AM   #55
SAIGA 5.45
Old Dirty Bastard of the Files

AKaholic #: 174648

I am not going to lie, nothing feels better than abusing an expensive gun or a nice new gun for me. It says, time to get you into shape and get you properly broken in.

I should be back in Jacksonville, putting my spicy man meat into a mother/daughter sandwich, that's what I want- Ashley J. Williams

This is the files, leave your purse at the fucking door.
SAIGA 5.45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 10:21 PM   #56
Jokkie
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 172112

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottman43055 View Post
And, it sucks !

I've had many different makes, models and types over the years in long guns & hand guns.

I really like the "tough & rugged" guns that can take a fair amount of abuse & do not need constant TLC. I've watched many torture test videos etc.

Probably why I like AK's & also carry a Glock daily.

I love the idea of a beater gun. Something I can toss in my work vehicle and whenever the occasion allows pop off a few rounds.

Thing is though, I can't ever be "rough" on my guns. Even my Ak's.

Recently I bought a S&W M&P 15 sport 2. I have seen some amazing videos of not only accurate shooting but an awesome melt down video & also some young guys packing it with dirt and it still running. (That actually surprised me).

Yet, I can't even lay the damn thing down without being so careful as to not bump the front sight as if it would break off or something.

I know it's silly but treating these guns like they are so fragile takes some of the fun out of them and I really want to get past this.

I hope I don't get ridiculed over putting this out there, it's actually annoying.

Mabe I should buy a High Point and through it in the mud LMAO.
If you can afford it, just buy two of the same model? One for go time, the other can be a safe queen.
Jokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 11:18 PM   #57
chillypepper

AKaholic #: 176015

Mine get beat the fuck up. I don't mean to, just with some precaution and care, shit still happens. They look nice when I'm done with them, after a couple years of bouncing around a tractor cab or pickup, they show some age.

Ever though that rock was solid when walking to where you want be 'yote hunting and took the choice of let the rifle fall instead of me? That sorta thing.

I have one gun that don't and wont get any sort of rough treatment. It get's shot once a year and then carefully cleaned, then back on the shelf. It's a Luger by the way. and is worth more than anything else I own. Pickup included.
chillypepper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:27 PM   #58
Laufer

Is the only real desire to keep them looking new?

Or do we assume that if we become seriously disabled, develop painful hand arthritis etc (or die) and they are to be sold, the person who sells such guns will receive about 90%-100% of the gun's street retail value?
Don't kid yourself.
In many cases we don't understand the markets, or we are Not honest with ourselves (as with most Armslist gun sellers) about used values.

Of my somewhat collectible Sigs, the P6 and P228 have each only seen a small box of ammo, but the P225 has seen 1,000 rds. since I acquired it a month ago. Even the 225 doesn't show any more external wear since I bought it.

One can have fun shooting some of them them and still avoid harming the outside. Do you keep a thin layer of WeaponsShield etc oil on the gun?

Don't allow any person new to guns to handle your best examples, and you have avoided about 95% of the risk to the exterior. They can look clumsy when simply learning what a decocking lever is.
Even some people Very experienced with handguns sometimes have not even Used a decocker. Strange.

Last edited by Laufer; 04-22-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:57 PM   #59
Rev06
Titanium Member

AKaholic #: 185972

One area where being overprotective of your gear can come back to bite you is with pistol mags and doing mag changes.

My recollection is that a major Leo dept or agency changed its SOP on mag retention during mag changes to drop free after more than guy fumbled reloads trying to retain the empty mag and people got hurt.

A lot of guys just don't like for their mags to hit the ground and don't train that way.

A potential negative flip side of this that I have heard about was during the Katrina response certain LEOs lost mags during drop free mag changes because of a reluctance or inability to see into get into that nasty, brackish, disease and chemical filled swamp water that covered the streets for several days.

I compromise and practice drop free on a softer floor covered surface like turf or a mat.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:12 AM   #60
Conn. AK
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 4732

OP would need some Xanax if he were to see my Mossberg 500s.
Conn. AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:00 AM   #61
Claymore
Right-Winger with a Rifle

AKaholic #: 186415

My old 1991 Remington 870 has been beaten up, I received it new in the box and it has seen a ton of genuine use.

My main pistol, a G19 has some holster wear, but holster wear is sexy. Probably has around 3K rounds through it.

My old WASR and 2012 Waffen Werks were babied, Sold them during a hard time. My new AKs are babied, but my 2015 WASR has some handling and carry wear and has plenty of rounds through it.

I've been into ARs less than 2 years, and the two I have look new both with several hundred rounds through them. No wear.

In short, I take care of my equipment. I even take care of my 870, but it is a working gun.

John 14:6

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783
Claymore is online now   Reply With Quote