Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Old 02-13-2019, 01:13 AM   #351
PRasko

AKaholic #: 189488

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreek! View Post
Man that sucks, sorry to hear the bad news about your mom. I hope that my doctor doesn't fail to notify me of anything like what happened with your mom. You should try to sue him for malpractice or something, it's inexcusable to not notify you of something like that. Anyway, I really don't want to have what's in my lung biopsied because wouldn't it be a major surgery just to get to it? It's in the middle of my right lung and it's so small (about half a centimeter) that they might as well just remove it if they're going to go that far with it. They want me to come back in a year to have another scan but I'm going to go every six months instead even if I have to pay for it out of pocket because I don't want to give what's in my lung a full year to get worse if it's going to get worse, I want to stay ahead of it.
My moms lung wasn't biopsied, so I don't know how that would play out. They did hers with a long syringe type deal, didn't knock her out, just numbed the area. The only major concern was possible pnuemothorax.

As for possible lawsuit? That's up to my father as the surviving spouse.

Whatever you decide to do, just keep up with it. The spot in my moms lung they said was residual from bronchitis she had years earlier. Which we now know is bullshit, because the immunotherapy killed it off. So it was obviously cancer even though that one didn't grow at all.

The spot in between her lungs was something they saw on a scan in 2016, but we were never told about it. It went a full year unchecked, eventually hindering her ability to swallow solid foods as it pressed against or esophagus. From 2016 to 2017 it had grown almost 6cm. On the 2016 scan it was almost 3cm in size. Her primary oncologist mentioned he saw it in the 2016 scan and we all looked puzzled as hell, said we were never told then. All he said was, it was there in that earlier scan, and impossible to miss unless you were blind.

I have hard copies and digital copies of all scans.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:16 AM   #352
chillypepper
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 176015

Quote:
Nope, everything still seems to take like it did before I quit. Same with my sense of smell, it too seems to be the same. If those senses are improving it's doing it slowly.
Greek, are you a welder? I mean everyday welder. Not just on the occasion things need to be welded.

Yes, it does make a difference.

Been welding one way or the other since I was 14. I always do better on the days I don't have to deal with welding and just turn screws.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:38 AM   #353
Black Blade
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 181106

You guys are doing good. If you need some hard encouragement visit some folk with lung cancer in the local hospice. It will drive it home when you start to weaken. I have buried too many Korean and Vietnam vet buddies over the years who checked out that way and it is sad and scary ... certainly not the way to go. Not long ago a friend with emphysema and other tobacco health issues passed away and I spread his ashes in the Big Horns as per his wishes. Should have had several more years to live.

Old 02-13-2019, 07:30 AM   #354
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

AKaholic #: 157160

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillypepper View Post
Greek, are you a welder? I mean everyday welder. Not just on the occasion things need to be welded.

Yes, it does make a difference.

Been welding one way or the other since I was 14. I always do better on the days I don't have to deal with welding and just turn screws.
I'm just an occasional welder but I did have a job as a welder for about a year but that was 30 years ago. Why do you ask?

I'd rather live in the hell of war than in the hell of communism
TheGreek! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 08:51 AM   #355
chillypepper
Veteran Member

Fumes gasses and the constant smoke from everything burning have a different effect for those in the trade. I know a few wildland firefighters that have some of the same experiences.
then again there are others that don't.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:19 PM   #356
virgil cole
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 102797

I don't smoke and I still got heart issues .
virgil cole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 03:49 PM   #357
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil cole View Post
I don't smoke and I still got heart issues .
Yeah but imagine how much worse those heart issues would be if you did smoke. You might not even be here right now.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:28 PM   #358
Mandaree36
Hannibals Mentor

AKaholic #: 4562

Quote:
Yeah but imagine how much worse those heart issues would be if you did smoke. You might not even be here right now.

Sure as shit he wouldnt be any better off if he had smoked.

приедьте и получите некоторых Вы трусы
Mandaree36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:25 PM   #359
chillypepper
Veteran Member

Yep. It only makes good bad, or bad worse. I've had my own share of health problems in the past and had to give up lots of things I used to love and take for granted.

I used to drink 4 or more POTS of coffee a day. I'd like to say I don't anymore. I have 2 cups in the morning(about 3 measured cups). I love coffee and could still drink it all day winter or summer. I just can't anymore.

I love whiskey, whiskey don't love me. I still do a beer or so from time to time.

Mostly whenever I get urges, I do white tea with two drops of honey. That combo just blasts my senses to life. Taste, smell, and cause that is so good, I even believe I can see better, I can't but sure does a job making me think I can.

Kinda like those large fluffy gingersnaps that I want to make some of to cram some ice cream between two of them. Flavor smash is fantastic.

I also drink lots of V8 juice though I get yelled at for it due to the sodium. I don't give a shit, I ain't giving up my spicy v8 for anything.

I'm also on of those weirdo's that puts ranch dressing on my mashed potatoes. That's the only thing I put ranch dressing on. Call me weird, i don't care, there is a couple things I just won't give up on.

and if doing those couple things, keeps me from doing the things that will kill me, then I'm okay with that.

Just like I still wrench tractors. Still weld, fab and repair. and still cook food I probably shouldn't be eating. And I will till the day I die. I'm simply trying to make that day a few days further away, and enjoy what I have while it lasts.

It's got to be a pretty serious problem if I don't go to work. Problems come and then they go. Work is there. Got a problem, go to work. The problems usually sort them selves out and the bills still get paid along the way, still have a roof and heat and food in the cupboard.

Not sure I'm making my point and this don't exactly clear it up any,

Working makes me happy. Even when it pisses me off. I ain't gonna stop working. I'll give up plenty to live, but I won't care about living if I'm not happy. Clear as mud, I know.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:43 PM   #360
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

Quote:
Yep. It only makes good bad, or bad worse. I've had my own share of health problems in the past and had to give up lots of things I used to love and take for granted.

I used to drink 4 or more POTS of coffee a day. I'd like to say I don't anymore. I have 2 cups in the morning(about 3 measured cups). I love coffee and could still drink it all day winter or summer. I just can't anymore.

I love whiskey, whiskey don't love me. I still do a beer or so from time to time.

Mostly whenever I get urges, I do white tea with two drops of honey. That combo just blasts my senses to life. Taste, smell, and cause that is so good, I even believe I can see better, I can't but sure does a job making me think I can.

Kinda like those large fluffy gingersnaps that I want to make some of to cram some ice cream between two of them. Flavor smash is fantastic.

I also drink lots of V8 juice though I get yelled at for it due to the sodium. I don't give a shit, I ain't giving up my spicy v8 for anything.

I'm also on of those weirdo's that puts ranch dressing on my mashed potatoes. That's the only thing I put ranch dressing on. Call me weird, i don't care, there is a couple things I just won't give up on.

and if doing those couple things, keeps me from doing the things that will kill me, then I'm okay with that.

Just like I still wrench tractors. Still weld, fab and repair. and still cook food I probably shouldn't be eating. And I will till the day I die. I'm simply trying to make that day a few days further away, and enjoy what I have while it lasts.

It's got to be a pretty serious problem if I don't go to work. Problems come and then they go. Work is there. Got a problem, go to work. The problems usually sort them selves out and the bills still get paid along the way, still have a roof and heat and food in the cupboard.

Not sure I'm making my point and this don't exactly clear it up any,

Working makes me happy. Even when it pisses me off. I ain't gonna stop working. I'll give up plenty to live, but I won't care about living if I'm not happy. Clear as mud, I know.
Ranch dressing on mashed potatoes?

Old 02-14-2019, 12:56 AM   #361
chillypepper
Veteran Member

Yeah, when ranch first came out is wasn't salad dressing. You should be old enough you might remember. You had to make it yourself from foil packets and buttermilk and mayo. The whole point of the stuff was to put on vegies to get kids to eat their vegetables. I remember the commercial on tv they poured it over broccoli.

At my house as kid, the rest of the kids put on everything on the plate. I only put it on my potatoes. Then within a couple years they started selling it bottled for about 5 times the price. Then everyone had to have everywhere. Heck even back in my Navy days in New England ranch was served as a pizza dip sauce.

Hey, you never know. You may like it or not. Hell I don't use ranch on salad, I prefer blue cheese or Italian.
Old 02-14-2019, 04:35 AM   #362
silvermane_1
((the wagons))anti-troll brigade CO

AKaholic #: 170966

Quote:
Ever dip seasoned fries in ranch dip?, putting ranch dressing on mashed potatoes ain't much of a stretch from that.
"Sic semper nova orbis terrae ordinatio collectarius"-Me

i'm a anti-zionist: http://www.antizionism.org
---------------------------------
BAN SIG 2018-19
silvermane_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 09:58 AM   #363
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

Today marks another milestone, three weeks without a cig.

It's getting easier every week although I still crave a smoke every now and then. I can't turn back though, not after coming this far....

Old 02-15-2019, 10:06 AM   #364
hoovdizzle
Sperged Out

AKaholic #: 181475

Quote:

It's getting easier every week although I still crave a smoke every now and then. I can't turn back though, not after coming this far....
good job! keep it up. bet you're feeling better already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Supreme View Post
Let all who gaze upon my manhood marvel in its shape and symmetry, and take comfort that my rod and my staff comfort thee.
hoovdizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 10:33 AM   #365
bigg777

AKaholic #: 194274

June 29th, 2019 will be 15 years as a non-smoker for me. I did it the same way everybody does it, one hour, one day, one week, one year at a time. What one man can do another man can also do.

You can beat your nicotine addiction. How do I know? Because I did and I'm no Superman, just another schlubb who had enough reasons to quit, just like you guys.
bigg777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 11:38 AM   #366
Night Owl
Taxed to death

AKaholic #: 158477

Quote:

A month without will be here before you know it.
Old 02-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #367
virgil cole
Curio & Relic

Quote:
You're right !
Old 02-15-2019, 12:38 PM   #368
virgil cole
Curio & Relic

My grandfather smoked L&M full flavor cigarettes daily till the day he died . He drank bourbon whiskey or Scotch daily also . He lived to be 88 and was on his feet till the day he died . I don't ever recommend doing what my granddad did but he did everything in moderation . Old fashioned conservative moderation . Some people can get away with that and many people can't . I can't , it's all or nothin with me . I wasn't a dedicated smoker but in my early 20s I did smoke Winston's or Marlboros but a pack would last me like a week . The day I decided to quit smoking I decided to just get pissed , bull-dog mad at tobacco . It worked . I haven't smoked since and that has been decades ago . I never even thought about it unless it was to get angry-mad about it . God gave us the ability to get mad for a reason . When I get mad shit gets done , productive things . Really . Just like Josey Wales says " ya got to get plumb bull-dog mad " .
Old 02-15-2019, 09:12 PM   #369
JohnFreeman
The bane of my existence
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 4244

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigg777 View Post
June 29th, 2019 will be 15 years as a non-smoker for me. I did it the same way everybody does it, one hour, one day, one week, one year at a time. What one man can do another man can also do..

Yessir!

Major props to the quitters!
Old 02-15-2019, 09:13 PM   #370
JohnFreeman
The bane of my existence
Silver Contributor

Quote:

Why, it's just like a fish on a bicycle....
Old 02-15-2019, 10:23 PM   #371
chillypepper
Veteran Member

I know some rednecks that put ranch on whatever. They think I'm crazy for not using it on a salad. Blue cheese is the bomb people, on a salad.

Funny how tastes change over the years. Used to be that I couldn't even try blue cheese, now it's all I want. As a teen all I wanted was french dressing. I do still like french, but I haven't bought any in years. When I was a kid I'd eat the hell outta brussel sprouts. Now I'll burn my house down before I'll let them hit the plate.

Taste changes with time I guess. But one thing I still like is ranch on my potatoes. (and garlic toast) Don't mess up and buy Kraft ranch. that shit sucks ass. Get real ranch or make it.

I like what I like, you like what you like. lets leave it at that. We don't need another Glock type thread about condiments.
Old Yesterday, 04:58 AM   #372
Extra Medium
Spectacular Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 188133

Ok fuckers. Any of y'all that did quit had any trouble sleeping during the process? I've been 4 whole days without a cigarette and only had a few last week. Have been finding it harder and harder to pass out. Especially the last few new nights with none at all. Maybe I'm overdoing the vape?

Grrr.
Old Yesterday, 05:23 AM   #373
silvermane_1
((the wagons))anti-troll brigade CO

AKaholic #: 170966

Quote:
I know some rednecks that put ranch on whatever. They think I'm crazy for not using it on a salad. Blue cheese is the bomb people, on a salad.

Funny how tastes change over the years. Used to be that I couldn't even try blue cheese, now it's all I want. As a teen all I wanted was french dressing. I do still like french, but I haven't bought any in years. When I was a kid I'd eat the hell outta brussel sprouts. Now I'll burn my house down before I'll let them hit the plate.

Taste changes with time I guess. But one thing I still like is ranch on my potatoes. (and garlic toast) Don't mess up and buy Kraft ranch. that shit sucks ass. Get real ranch or make it.

I like what I like, you like what you like. lets leave it at that. We don't need another Glock type thread about condiments.
I like dipping potato chips in blue cheese dressing, sometimes in ranch too.
"Sic semper nova orbis terrae ordinatio collectarius"-Me

i'm a anti-zionist: http://www.antizionism.org
---------------------------------
BAN SIG 2018-19
silvermane_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:47 AM   #374
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Medium View Post
Ok fuckers. Any of y'all that did quit had any trouble sleeping during the process? I've been 4 whole days without a cigarette and only had a few last week. Have been finding it harder and harder to pass out. Especially the last few new nights with none at all. Maybe I'm overdoing the vape?

Grrr.
I use sleeping pills because of my caffeine and sugar intake during the day (coffee and Dr pepper) so I really couldn't tell you if quitting the cigs affected my sleeping pattern. Without the pills I have shitty sleep if I can even get to sleep at all. Maybe my next thing should be to try to cut down my caffeine and sugar intake...

Old Yesterday, 09:01 AM   #375
chillypepper
Veteran Member

I'd cut down a little. Too soon to give up everything all at once. I'm down to a couple cups of coffee in the mornings and maybe one more after lunch.

Never been much on soda pop, specially dr. pepper. Unless I'm constipated then a dr. pepper goes a long way to help with that.

Plus instead of nibbling on snacks all day, I drink a V-8 juice when I start getting hungry, or think I'm getting hungry is a better way to describe it.
Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM   #376
Mandaree36
Hannibals Mentor

AKaholic #: 4562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Medium View Post

Grrr.

I have lost track of time now, I think I am around 2 months now. BUT my sleeping has been worse. I was the hit the pillow and out like a light type. Now I lay there, sometimes for a fucking hour...trying to fall asleep.

Been like this since my first week off smokes.

What the fuck...

приедьте и получите некоторых Вы трусы
Mandaree36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:11 PM   #377
chillypepper
Veteran Member

It's kinda normal guys. You've done something for so long that you just stopped. It will take some time for your body to get used to it.

I still wake up every 2 hours for a smoke. For years, I'd wake up every 2 hours and have a smoke. I'm not used to not doing that yet. I'm one of those guys that 30 minutes after I eat the evening meal I'm asleep and done for the night. I don't sleep all night, but I sure ain't doing a damn thing either.

Melatonin helps some with sleeping. Don't do shit for the crazy dreams though.
Old Yesterday, 02:42 PM   #378
virgil cole
Curio & Relic

The older I get the harder it is to fall asleep , the harder it is to stay asleep . And I use zero caffeine or sugar . Sleep difficulty is a product of the natural aging process I believe . It is during deep " rem " sleep that our bodies repair and nourish our biological structures and even individual cells , trillions of them . Our bodies need ' deep sleep ' for a very good reason . I'll bet that is why we age so much between the age of like 50 and 80 , lack of sleep . Quitting tobacco is a great start but the caffeine and sugar must eventually be addressed also . Caffeine , sugar , and salt are major agents of death also . It's almost like corporations are trying to kill us .
Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM   #379
barnbred
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 164399

I take benadryl to help sleep. I drop it 2 hours before bed and im out fast. Without it I would get 4 hours sleep a night. Eff that.

I quit smoking cigs back in 2004. Picked up a cigar habit this past August . Gotta be honest, 2 to 3 cigars over the weekend is quite enjoyable.
barnbred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM   #380
Extra Medium
Spectacular Member
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandaree36 View Post
I have lost track of time now, I think I am around 2 months now. BUT my sleeping has been worse. I was the hit the pillow and out like a light type. Now I lay there, sometimes for a fucking hour...trying to fall asleep.

Been like this since my first week off smokes.

What the fuck...
Yeah, it took me 4 and a half hours to fall asleep last night. It sucked.

Quote:
It's kinda normal guys. You've done something for so long that you just stopped. It will take some time for your body to get used to it.

I still wake up every 2 hours for a smoke. For years, I'd wake up every 2 hours and have a smoke. I'm not used to not doing that yet. I'm one of those guys that 30 minutes after I eat the evening meal I'm asleep and done for the night. I don't sleep all night, but I sure ain't doing a damn thing either.

Melatonin helps some with sleeping. Don't do shit for the crazy dreams though.
Melatonin doesn't work for me two nights in a row. I finally took some Monday night at 2:30, was out by 3;00. Didn't bother last night and was up til almost 5. Slept till 8. I'm kinda enjoying the crazy dreams though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil cole View Post
The older I get the harder it is to fall asleep , the harder it is to stay asleep . And I use zero caffeine or sugar . Sleep difficulty is a product of the natural aging process I believe . It is during deep " rem " sleep that our bodies repair and nourish our biological structures and even individual cells , trillions of them . Our bodies need ' deep sleep ' for a very good reason . I'll bet that is why we age so much between the age of like 50 and 80 , lack of sleep . Quitting tobacco is a great start but the caffeine and sugar must eventually be addressed also . Caffeine , sugar , and salt are major agents of death also . It's almost like corporations are trying to kill us .
Fuck that! Caffeine, sugar, and salt are all I have left! Gotta draw the line somewhere. I will admit that I seem to need less salt on my food since I tapered down and eventually stopped the cigarettes. Lung capacity is up slightly, although it wasn't that bad to start with. Sense of smell is starting to get annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnbred View Post
I take benadryl to help sleep. I drop it 2 hours before bed and im out fast. Without it I would get 4 hours sleep a night. Eff that.

I quit smoking cigs back in 2004. Picked up a cigar habit this past August . Gotta be honest, 2 to 3 cigars over the weekend is quite enjoyable.
I'm allergic to benadryl. It makes me nervous and gives me hives. Go figure. I'm a true adhd and have what is called the paradox reaction to depressants. The school forced my parents to put me on ritalin as a kid for a few years to calm me down as that was the thing to do to in the 80s. NEVER EVER give a kid ritalin or any other amphetamine. PLEASE......It was sheer torture. Felt like red lining an engine with the clutch only slightly engaged. Couldn't eat, couldn't think, couldn't grow. Decades later I still get shudders this song about it. Probablyn reason I'm extra medium instead of relatively big.

I also really enjoy a good cigar. I have a couple connections on Cubans. Sent a couple to Trollo but his fuckin buddies smoked them all up before he got to them. Hope to one day be able to have one now and then without having to go buy a pack of cigarettes. If that day does come, It's probably a long ways off.

Last edited by Extra Medium; Today at 01:07 AM.
Extra Medium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:10 PM   #381
JohnFreeman
The bane of my existence
Silver Contributor

Keep on quittin....

(I'm a chronic insomniac. I take sleeping pills. Best $3 a month I spend)
Old Yesterday, 09:15 PM   #382
chillypepper
Veteran Member

I still love a good cigar and I love my pipe. I'm avoiding those as well for now so I just don't trade one for the other.
Old Today, 01:08 AM   #383
Extra Medium
Spectacular Member
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
I still love a good cigar and I love my pipe. I'm avoiding those as well for now so I just don't trade one for the other.
Good plan chili.