Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Ammunition

Notices

Old 02-17-2017, 02:43 PM   #1
hkmp5ks

AKaholic #: 191416
Default New to AK47, got the gun but have no ammo yet

Hey guys, been lurking for a while and y'all basically helped me pick the rifle with the knowledge you generously share... many thanks!!

Still a little too cold to go out and shoot it so I decided to take my time picking the ammo so I can buy at least a case and be set for a little while...

I will be using this mostly for range fun, nothing serious but want to make sure the ammo is good and reliable if possible and if that costs a little more I'm ok with it... there are many options out there and they all seem like good deals so, can I go wrong?

Avoiding new batches of GT at least for my first ammo purchase so I was looking at all the wolf and bear ammo...

Any difference between them? Polyformance, vs laquered milspec vs new production milspec, vs soft points or hollow points.... and I'm not wondering about ballistic performance or any of that just reliability and good all around ammo for range use and maaaaaaybe the ocassional wild hog or coyote if I ever take it to TX but I doubt I would over my .45-70 gbl

Any and all advice appreciated!!
hkmp5ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:53 PM   #2
hourglass

AKaholic #: 177833

I stock up on bulk Wolf ammo - whatever is on sale with free shipping. Cheap Russian ammo works fine in most cases. Congrats on the new AK - fun and cheap to shoot!
hourglass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:55 PM   #3
MarkML
Banned

AKaholic #: 191153

Buy the cheapest steel case ammo available and just go out and shoot it.
MarkML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #4
joeyjoejoe

AKaholic #: 155245

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkML View Post
Buy the cheapest steel case ammo available and just go out and shoot it.
Yes, Wolf mil-classic or poly, bears, Tula- all fine for range plinking.
joeyjoejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:59 PM   #5
PatinAz

AKaholic #: 191083

Buy a small variety and see what the rifle likes. When you find that out, buy bulk from someplace such as SG Ammo.
PatinAz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:41 PM   #6
Just a Citizen
Not the Sharpest Crayon in the box.

AKaholic #: 173954

Whatever is cheapest.

https://www.slickguns.com/category/ammo?caliber=10
"The right of a citizen to bear arms, in lawful defense of himself or the State, is absolute. He does not derive it from the State government. It is one of the "high powers" delegated directly to the citizen, and `is excepted out of the general powers of government.' A law cannot be passed to infringe upon or impair it, because it is above the law, and independent of the lawmaking power." [Cockrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394, at 401-402 (1859)
Just a Citizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:12 PM   #7
carbine85

AKaholic #: 155600

You live in Columbus and you think it's too cold to shoot your AK? Good grief man it's been in the 40s-60s here in Cincy. Turn in that rifle and go buy a .22 :-)
Go by Dicks Sporting goods and just pick up some ammo and shoot it.
carbine85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:39 PM   #8
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

Soft point and hollow point ammo can be too short to feed properly in an AK. Get FMJ ammo. Barnaul Bear ammo and Wolf ammo made by Barnaul being decent qualiy 7.62x39 ammo.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:45 PM   #9
carls ak

AKaholic #: 175262

hi Ohio and welcome. good to have you here. will find some good prices on www.slickguns.com.

Romanian AK 47 WASR 10/63
YUGO M-70 N-PAP
carls ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:55 PM   #10
Mattylight30
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172152

Stack GT, M-67, and TulaAmmo 8M3.

Blast with regular wolf and Tula.
Mattylight30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:38 PM   #11
hinkak

AKaholic #: 184602

You can often go to Walmart etc and pick up Tula for not much more per round than buying in bulk. Ammoman is currently pretty expensive but there is also Sportsmans Guide SG ammo and a couple of other vendors where you can pick up a case for 23-25 cpr.

I shoot 5 or 6 different types of ammo in my ak and sks rifles.... don't overthink it...
hinkak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:49 PM   #12
hkmp5ks

Thanks everyone for the great info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbine85 View Post
You live in Columbus and you think it's too cold to shoot your AK? Good grief man it's been in the 40s-60s here in Cincy. Turn in that rifle and go buy a .22 :-)
Go by Dicks Sporting goods and just pick up some ammo and shoot it.

It is literally NEVER that nice when I'm off work and I drive all the way to Coshocton to shoot lots of busy times at work eroding the good stuff too ....can you find cheap .22s in Cincy? I still haven't in Columbus

I'm gonna order some 9mm HST's from SGAmmo so I'll probably just go ahead and pick up a case of Polyformance or something similar from them... it's the same price as the laquered stuff.. any benefits with laquer? I do shoot in foggy and rainy situations sometimes and don't want ammo that rusts extremely easily
Old 02-17-2017, 08:57 PM   #13
Just a Citizen
Not the Sharpest Crayon in the box.

AKaholic #: 173954

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkmp5ks View Post
Thanks everyone for the great info!

It is literally NEVER that nice when I'm off work and I drive all the way to Coshocton to shoot lots of busy times at work eroding the good stuff too ....can you find cheap .22s in Cincy? I still haven't in Columbus

I'm gonna order some 9mm HST's from SGAmmo so I'll probably just go ahead and pick up a case of Polyformance or something similar from them... it's the same price as the laquered stuff.. any benefits with laquer? I do shoot in foggy and rainy situations sometimes and don't want ammo that rusts extremely easily

This is lacquered and $218 shipped, free shipping code is BRSH1702

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/produ...unds?a=1582107

Lacquer feeds smoother and is rust resistant and is the mil standard, poly coat is just a way to cheapen the ammo.
"The right of a citizen to bear arms, in lawful defense of himself or the State, is absolute. He does not derive it from the State government. It is one of the "high powers" delegated directly to the citizen, and `is excepted out of the general powers of government.' A law cannot be passed to infringe upon or impair it, because it is above the law, and independent of the lawmaking power." [Cockrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394, at 401-402 (1859)
Just a Citizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:10 PM   #14
FacetiousOne

AKaholic #: 166376

Welcome. Did you happen to get your AK at Cabela's last Sunday? If so, I'm the guy you were talking to.

Any steel-cased ammo will work. Buy the cheapest.
FacetiousOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:00 PM   #15
Sigiloso
Banned

AKaholic #: 185454

I buy whatevers the cheapest bulk on line. But I'll allso swing by the sporting goods counter and pick up a forty pack or two of the TulAmmo stuff when I am in there for something else. At $9.97 a box it isn't too bad a price and its usually in stock. Normally I'm storing the bulk stuff, and shooting the TulAmmo.
Sigiloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:27 PM   #16
irierider
((10)) Troll Brigade Commander

AKaholic #: 159069

Cool, no rush to buy, it's going to get even cheaper
Old 02-19-2017, 02:29 AM   #17
TheSundanceKid
Banned

AKaholic #: 189907

Same boat as you

Just got my 104 and I'm stocking up on mags and ammo now

The addiction is real I want more mags and more ammo and now I want a krink and it just goes on and on.... thank god im not married yet you married guys must have a hell of a time getting the wife to approve

I keep trying to talk myself into buying the Russian entrenching tool even tho it will probably sit it my closet for the next 30 years lol
TheSundanceKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:49 AM   #18
ksbsnowowl
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177600

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatinAz View Post
Buy a small variety and see what the rifle likes. When you find that out, buy bulk from someplace such as SG Ammo.
^ This is good advice. I sighted in a new AK-47 this weekend, and basically started by shooting groups to see how the rifle liked different brands of ammo. Here's a small snippet from the range report I posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbsnowowl View Post
My first three shots with Golden Tiger were ridiculously all over the place (new rifle, recoil impulse is different than my 107FR, and I just wasn't shooting well yesterday). The first three shots were the two gray ones, and the middle of the yellow group. After that I calmed down a bit, added two additional shots with Golden Tiger to get a semi-respectable group, then started moving onto different brands of ammo.

Here they are, in the order I fired them. I didn't make any adjustments to the sights until after I had shot all of these.
Quote:
Gray: First two shots with Golden Tiger
Yellow: Golden Tiger
Green: Wolf hollow points from SG Ammo (green box)
Red: old Monarch from Academy
Orange: old Ulyanovsk I have (the black and white box)

I decided to sight it in on the SG Ammo Wolf hollow points, so I adjusted the front sight drum (the two lower un-circled shots), and then I readjusted back right and up (the other un-circled shot - I only had one box of the Wolf HP, so was conserving ammo) before changing targets.
If you are planning to buy a case of handgun ammo somewhere, I'd really suggest throwing on a single box of a few different brands, just so you can see what the rifle likes.

As others have said, Lacquer is better for rust resistance.

Also, I didn't see you mention what AK you got. Share the details, man! (And put of pics!)
ksbsnowowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:02 AM   #19
TheSundanceKid
Banned

Quote:
^ This is good advice. I sighted in a new AK-47 this weekend, and basically started by shooting groups to see how the rifle liked different brands of ammo. Here's a small snippet from the range report I posted.

If you are planning to buy a case of handgun ammo somewhere, I'd really suggest throwing on a single box of a few different brands, just so you can see what the rifle likes.

As others have said, Lacquer is better for rust resistance.

Also, I didn't see you mention what AK you got. Share the details, man! (And put of pics!)
That golden tiger looks like some good shit. Wish I could find some in 5.45
Old 02-19-2017, 11:45 AM   #20
FacetiousOne

AKaholic #: 166376

Quote:
.. thank god im not married yet you married guys must have a hell of a time getting the wife to approve
Approval? I married the right kind, as most of us have. She likes shooting as much as I do. Better make sure you pick the right kind of wife.
FacetiousOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:03 PM   #21
cigarmanpa

AKaholic #: 185846

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkak View Post
You can often go to Walmart etc and pick up Tula for not much more per round than buying in bulk. Ammoman is currently pretty expensive but there is also Sportsmans Guide SG ammo and a couple of other vendors where you can pick up a case for 23-25 cpr.

I shoot 5 or 6 different types of ammo in my ak and sks rifles.... don't overthink it...
I think it's about $0.25/round at walmart for tula
cigarmanpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:02 PM   #22
TheSundanceKid
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacetiousOne View Post
Approval? I married the right kind, as most of us have. She likes shooting as much as I do. Better make sure you pick the right kind of wife.
Damn right.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:04 PM   #23
ksbsnowowl
Veteran Member

Quote:
Indeed. I already have too many AK's. When the new SLR-107's were announced at Shot Show, I showed my wife the video. She learned how much they were going to cost, and she told me it was a good value, and to buy it.

Also, her suggested Valentine's Day activity? "Let's go see John Wick 2."

I married the right kind of woman.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:12 PM   #24
PatinAz

AKaholic #: 191083

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSundanceKid View Post
Damn right.
My wife saw a pics on my iPad from the WASR thread here. She's like "buying another rifle?"

She doesn't question it. And she's learned to not lift those boxes labeled ORM-D from the front door.
PatinAz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:36 PM   #25
Ak-sharpshooter
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 11436

Wolf's my favorite usually pretty cheap at Aim Surplus or Ammoman. Hell any Russian is pretty good
Old 02-19-2017, 09:32 PM   #26
0DARK30
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 169651

Wolf millions and millions served....
0DARK30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 04:52 AM   #27
nofreetime
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 180281

Quote:
Originally Posted by irierider View Post
Cool, no rush to buy, it's going to get even cheaper
No rush? Man said he had no ammo.
nofreetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:57 PM   #28
hkmp5ks

Finally ordered some ammo... needed some 9mm HST's that I get from SGAmmo so I went ahead and ordered this for the AK47 underfolder:
  • 1000 Wolf 123gr Mil-Spec laquered+sealant FMJ by Barnaul to store/plink
  • 500 TulAmmo 8M3 to test and possibly hunt

And you guys are right, how rude of me not to include pictures, especially when you all helped me pick! Pardon the reloading bench is currently undergoing some minor upgrades but here's a couple pics with stock extended and folded.... pretty neat looking rifle!

It's an Arsenal SAM7UF-85

Quote:
Welcome. Did you happen to get your AK at Cabela's last Sunday? If so, I'm the guy you were talking to.
Nope, I got it online from grabagun.com but hey I hope the guy you talked to swings by with some pics of what he got, we can always use more AK's here

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSundanceKid View Post
Same boat as you

Just got my 104 and I'm stocking up on mags and ammo now
Did you get a violin case yet? I've GOT to have one hahaha

Quote:
Indeed. I already have too many AK's. When the new SLR-107's were announced at Shot Show, I showed my wife the video. She learned how much they were going to cost, and she told me it was a good value, and to buy it.

Mine was like that up until now. She does not like AK47's but enjoys doing competition drills with me on the AR15's... go figure. I've been keeping the AK where she can see it at all times hoping exposure will soften her anti-commie heart at least to some extent... so far no dice though

Once again, thank you all so much for your help!!
Old 02-20-2017, 09:20 PM   #29
ksbsnowowl
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkmp5ks View Post
Mine was like that up until now. She does not like AK47's but enjoys doing competition drills with me on the AR15's... go figure. I've been keeping the AK where she can see it at all times hoping exposure will soften her anti-commie heart at least to some extent... so far no dice though

Once again, thank you all so much for your help!!
Just bring it along when you both go to the range, and get her to shoot it.

Many years ago, when I had only one AR-15 and one AK-47, my wife decided that my Saiga SGL-21 was her favorite rifle. That hasn't changed to this day.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:44 PM   #30
GREEK AK

AKaholic #: 172212

Quote:

You sure did ! The fact she knows price points well enough to encourage that purchase means you hit the jackpot Sir ! That's awesome.
GREEK AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 02:57 AM   #31
hkmp5ks

Quote:
Just bring it along when you both go to the range, and get her to shoot it.

Many years ago, when I had only one AR-15 and one AK-47, my wife decided that my Saiga SGL-21 was her favorite rifle. That hasn't changed to this day.
No way she'd shoot it haha 0 interest in it especially with the folding stock. Not a big deal, more ammo for me
Old 02-21-2017, 05:15 PM   #32
Orpheus
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177936

Quote:

......0_o

Mine said the same thing
Orpheus is online now   Reply With Quote