Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Old 02-11-2007, 04:15 PM   #1
AKjack

AKaholic #: 5228
Default 9mm ak and ejecting problem

Hi guys.

I made my 9mm conversion and also shooting that a lot, but ejecting is still problem. Sometimes case donīt ejecting and it stay between bolt and receiver/barrel end. Ejector catch case quite tight, but I donīt ficure what is problem. Receiver is milled and I also think of cut piece there at ejecting problem go solved?!

Anyone have a great idea how solve that little but annoying problem.

I post some pics when I have time to do that.

thanks...
AKjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:14 PM   #2
a-kmanator
Resident Parts Hoarder
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 7569
Location: 100 yards to your right...If you can read this..You're in Range...

what bolt did you use?7.62 or5.45 or.223?is you ejecter long enough?does it function with dustcover removed?are the cases still in bolt or bouncing around under dust cover?if there still in bolt it sounds like ejecter is to short..kman
a-kmanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:39 PM   #3
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

Because of the length of the 9mm case the ejector might work better farther forward.The ejector could be too long or too short too.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:18 PM   #4
azhonkey
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 4356

jack
i had the same problem with my 9mm conversion,the casings would drop at your feet and every now and then one would rattle around inside the cover and jam the bolt.tryed all kinds of things,nothing worked.i finally cut the ejector tip off and moved it .375 inches forward and now it runs fine,throws the casings about ten feet.not as far as my 7.62x25 conversion but i can live with it.

Pilot-in-Command: Captain Sum Ting Wong
Line Check Airman: Captain Wi Tu Lo
First 'Relief' Officer: Ho Lee Fuk
2nd Backup Officer: Bang Ding Ow
azhonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 05:23 PM   #5
AKjack

I use 7,62 bolt, but there are silver solded steel ring so 9 mm case fit in bolt.
No matter if I use dust cover or not. Same thing.

Case get good contact to ejector during fireing.

Ejector is meaby too long so I little shortening that...about 3 mm.
Next shooting moment show how it functioning.
Old 02-12-2007, 05:58 PM   #6
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

The slot in the 7.62 bolt is a bit shallow for a "long" 9mm ejector.Unless you deepened the slot,most likelt the ejector is too short.
Old 02-13-2007, 05:46 AM   #7
AKjack

Hmmm.... yes. "Short, long",.. or wide?? That term "short" I mean ejector distance to barrel. Width I meant ejector distance to bolt groove. I little grind that groove, but firing pins pin coming next against and I donīt wanna grind that..
I try once when pin is little hide and it touch firing pin when I shoot, but then comes accidental rapid fire .
Old 02-13-2007, 09:13 AM   #8
getit

AKaholic #: 4281

is the extractor to tight on it?? is it tight in the bolt?? if the extractor is too tight or too loose it would make it stay locked in the bolt or loose enough to fall out and not eject....like was said might have to move the ejector closer to the chamber
if u grinded all the way to the firing pin then i would have to say the ejector is plenty deep in the bolt

why does that primer look so funky?? it looks as if the center is poking out
getit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 10:10 AM   #9
AKjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by getit
is the extractor to tight on it?? is it tight in the bolt?? if the extractor is too tight or too loose it would make it stay locked in the bolt or loose enough to fall out and not eject....like was said might have to move the ejector closer to the chamber
if u grinded all the way to the firing pin then i would have to say the ejector is plenty deep in the bolt

why does that primer look so funky?? it looks as if the center is poking out
Extractor is not too tight and itīs not touching to bolt..anymore. That rapid fire moment happens when firing pin pin was hide and possibly sometimes touching extractor...how knows..? I must grind extractor (widenes) at it not touching firing pin pin even if carrier had margin. I have doubts at those parts (extractor and firing pin pin) rubbing. Yep, I know... difficult to understand but my english is not good... sorry about that

Primer look so funky? Hmmm.... in live it looks like quite normal, but my camera donīt work well close distance and that picture is scan results .
Old 02-13-2007, 11:23 AM   #10
getit

AKaholic #: 4281

is that pic from the inside of the case??? that would explain it
getit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 01:35 PM   #11
Max-Guy

AKaholic #: 7218

It's an optical illusion. Your brain expects to see the light coming from above. if the light comes from another direction, sometimes holes look like bumps and visa versa.

-- GLA
Old 02-15-2007, 12:40 AM   #12
Rodger

AKaholic #: 6079
Default Ejection Issues

This is a problem I have fought with all seven of my 2XTM builds. With a little tinkering and experimentation they were all eventually made to work. Things that I have found to cause these problems are:
#1. Bolt handle or carrier to far forward. Case hit the carrier or handle and bounces back into gun.
#2. Ejector to Short I don't think an ejector can be too long if you used a 5.45 ejector to start with. When using a 7.62 bolt the groove where the ejector rides must be deepened. I use a part off wheel in the dremel to deepen this groove.
#3. Area on carrier above case not relieved far enough and case hits there and bounce down into action.
#4. Ejector to low. Causes cases to hit the carrier on the way out of the gun same as #3. Looking down the bore the ejector should be at about the 4 o'clock position. If it is any lower the case will strike and upward trajectory and can hit the underside of the carrier. There is very little adjustment here, only the width of the grove in the bolt but it can help.
#5. Extractor not griping cases tight enough. I have never experienced an extractor that is to tight. I typically remove a little material from the extractor where it interfaces with the hole in the bolt to get a tighter grip.
#6. Extractor to thick, the 45 degree ramp on the front face of the extractor rides up high in the case grove. When the case starts to tip out of the bolt the extractor experieces a premature release before the case is vectored in the correct direction. I ususally polish the front face of the extractor and move it back a few thousands. If using a 7.62 extractor I also change the inside radius of the claw to match the diameter of the 9mm case groove.
#7. Top cover not cut back far enough. If it runs without the top cover this could be the problem.
#8. Premature case release from the extractor can also be caused by the bolt face pocket roughness. This can be a problem with modified 7.62 bolts. Check the area oposite the extractor for any roughness, raised metal, weld slag or burrs from deeping the ejestor groove.
#9. I also grind away a little material from the center of the extractor face. I grind a channel for the case to tip into as it release from the ejector. This maybe overkill and I cannot prove that this helps.

I guess I should add this to the website. Hope these ideas help. Don't get discouraged. This is normal with everything I build. I consider it good when It runs 99 time out of a 100.
Rodger
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:23 PM   #13
Rodger

AKaholic #: 6079
Default Other thoughts on ejection issues

CNtrailrider talked me into shortening the receiver by jumping back one hole on the front trunnion. This results in a shorter run to the ejector and less chance of the rounds in the drum dislodging the empty case from the extractor. I have built my last three 2XTM's in this configuration and believe it is a better configuration. I did have to build up the feed ramp (weld and grind) on my mag well on each build to keep the bullet from running into the back face of the barrel. Another approach to this issue would be to move the ejector forward about .7". I did this on my gas operate 9 (still experimenting) and welded the piece back on the rear of the ejector rail.
Rodger
Rodger is offline   Reply With Quote